News:

Main Menu

Change at ALPB

Started by peter_speckhard, October 28, 2023, 10:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peter_speckhard

Just a heads up to all participants here that I recently notified the ALPB that I've decided to give up being moderator here and associate editor of Forum Letter as of the end of the year.

This is not a matter of "citing creative differences" or "pursuing new opportunities" or "spending more time with my family" or "being pressured to resign" or anything along those lines. I'll still participate here (a bit less) and submit the occasional article to Forum Letter. I just have a sense after 16 years of doing it that it is time to move on.

The same week I decided to give this up, my "Pastor-Theologian" group that has been meeting for twenty years came to the mutual decision to hang it up after our next meeting, which will be a last hurrah. Plus I just turned 54 and my dog just turned 16 (and could go any day now), so maybe I'm just feeling like it is the end of an era in my life and the start of a new one.

So anyhoo... be on your best behavior here for the next couple of months, then go nuts. And subscribe to Forum Letter for my upcoming farewell article, which I haven't written yet but is sure to be required reading in future seminars around the globe.

pastorg1@aol.com

Such fun. Such insight. Such dutiful faith.
Thank you Pastor Speckhard.

Peter
Pete Garrison
RC Catechist

Mike in Pennsylvania

Thank you for your many years of service, Pastor Speckhard!
NALC Interim Pastor

Padre Emeritus

Peter:
We have not had reason to engage each other very much over the decade and a half, but please know that your service here is much appreciated.

I pray the next generation will find a way to keep the ALPB going and reflective of the diversity of theological constructs of this thing we call Lutheranism. I am not sure I recognize what makes one a Lutheran vs. say an Evangelical Catholic, or a Confessional vs. Missional Lutheran any more.  I guess I have always hoped and prayed that the crisis of the 16th Century Germany would have resolved the differences with Rome and both sides would learn from each other.  It doesn't look like that will happen in my lifetime, but I pray it could happen in God's lifetime.

Thanks, Peter, and God's blessings on this adjustment we all make in our lives and in service to the Church!

Padre Dave Poedel....still working at 70 with no shortage of words left in me.
The Old Padre Dave Poedel, now retired, coming back to catch up with friends, old and new

Rev. Edward Engelbrecht

Well wishes to you and your puppy, Peter. Thanks for your service.

Dave, I mentioned in my talk today about Jan Hus that there has been great progress from the sixteenth century. Here's a list of examples:

-Renaissance Papacy rejected
-Mass in vernacular
-Bible in the hands of laity
-Chalice for the laity
-John XXIII calls Protestants "separated brethren"
-We're not killing each other

It's not everything but it's progress!

Weedon

Peter, you have been such a blessing on this board. I hope that your participation WILL continue; after all, if you're not moderating, you'll have more time to write! Thanks for all you do!

J. Thomas Shelley

Peter, you have truly been "a bulwark never shaken" in providing moderation amidst the flood of threads which almost inevitably drift into certain predicable patterns.

I pray that equally judicious and well-tempered folk will succeed you in this important task.
Greek Orthodox Deacon - Ecumenical Patriarchate
Ordained to the Holy Diaconate Mary of Egypt Sunday A.D. 2022

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Michael Slusser

Thank you, Pr. Speckhard, for carrying out your responsibilities as moderator so faithfully and so long.

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

Dave Likeness

Pastor Speckhard deserves our thanks for his years
as Moderator of this forum.  His articulate and no
non-sense approach was refreshing to read.  So I
offer you heartfelt thanks for your contributions.

John_Hannah

Thank you, Peter for years of steady service. Your most recent contribution on Concordia-Texas is a model of balance and common sense in reporting and analysis.

Ad multos annos!

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

Jim Butler

Peter,

Thank you for the many years that you've served as a moderator on this board. As a former moderator on LTHRN-L back in the day, I know it is not only a thankless task and often a very difficult one as well (trying to figure out if someone has gone over the line is rarely easy!).

I've also appreciated the articles that you've written in Forum Letter and other places. You have shown yourself to be a good theologian and a man of integrity and churchmanship.
"Pastor Butler... [is] deaf to the cries of people like me, dismissing our concerns as Satanic scenarios, denouncing our faith and our very existence."--Charles Austin

David Garner

Thank you for consistently taking on a thankless task.
Orthodox Reader and former Lutheran (LCMS and WELS).

Jeremy_Loesch

Peter, I always liked reading your articles in FL, especially the ones on Temple Prostitution and when you lead a group on a tour of the Holy Land. I appreciated your writing style and your Christian witness through the written word.

Thanks for helping to moderate this forum, and enjoy whatever is next. I vote for more writing in FL if Richard will accept your submissions.

Jeremy

James S. Rustad

Peter, thanks for your long service as moderator.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." -Thomas Jefferson

D. Engebretson

Thank you, Peter, for your many years as moderator and as associate editor.  Looking forward to your future articles and your continued participation. 
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk