News:

Main Menu

Divine Mercy Chaplet

Started by DCharlton, October 12, 2023, 06:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCharlton

From time to time, I get questions about various kinds of Catholic devotions, like the Rosarie.  One of them is the Divine Mercy Chaplet.  So, the question is, can a Lutheran prayer the Divine Mercy Chaplet?

In my opinion, the key words are these:
Eternal Father, I offer you the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Your Dearly Beloved Son, Our Lord, Jesus Christ, in atonement for our sins and those of the whole world.

That seems to come awfully close to seeing the Eucharist as a sacrifice offered by the faithful to God.

What are your thoughts?
David Charlton  

Was Algul Siento a divinity school?

J. Thomas Shelley

There is similarity to this prayer from the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom, which occurs between the Institution narrative and the epiclesis:

Remembering, therefore, this saving commandment and all that has been done for our sake: the Cross, the tomb, the Resurrection on the third day, the Ascension into heaven, the enthronement at the right hand, and the second and glorious coming again.
Your own of Your own we offer to You, in all and for all.
Greek Orthodox Deacon - Ecumenical Patriarchate
Ordained to the Holy Diaconate Mary of Egypt Sunday A.D. 2022

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

DCharlton

Thanks.  I recently discovered the Orthodox "Hail Mary" too, which I really like.
David Charlton  

Weedon

David,

John Gerhard apparently thought so. In his Meditations on Divine Mercy, he says:

"I place before You the holy conception of Your Son in place of my foul, unclean nature. He was born for me, and He also was conceived for me. Your Son was made sanctification and righteousness for me, and He also was made my purification and purity. Because of Your Son and through Your Son, have mercy on me, O Most High" (p. 33)

"For the disobedience of my youth, I offer to You, holy Father, the obedience of Your Son. I offer to You the perfect innocence of the one who became obedient to You , even to death, even death on a cross." (P. 35)

"For these sins that I commit every day of my life, I offer to You, O holy Father, the precious blood of Your Son, which was poured out on the altar of the Cross." (P. 37)

"For this and all my sins and failures, I offer to You, my God, the faultless and perfect obedience of Your Son, who in the days of His flesh, loved You perfectly with His whole heart and depended completely on You." (p. 39)

"For these and all my sins and failures, I offer to You, most holy Father, the perfect obedience of Your Son, who loved all people with perfect love." (P. 41) 

DCharlton

Quote from: Weedon on October 12, 2023, 06:49:02 PMDavid,

John Gerhard apparently thought so. In his Meditations on Divine Mercy, he says:

"I place before You the holy conception of Your Son in place of my foul, unclean nature. He was born for me, and He also was conceived for me. Your Son was made sanctification and righteousness for me, and He also was made my purification and purity. Because of Your Son and through Your Son, have mercy on me, O Most High" (p. 33)

"For the disobedience of my youth, I offer to You, holy Father, the obedience of Your Son. I offer to You the perfect innocence of the one who became obedient to You , even to death, even death on a cross." (P. 35)

"For these sins that I commit every day of my life, I offer to You, O holy Father, the precious blood of Your Son, which was poured out on the altar of the Cross." (P. 37)

"For this and all my sins and failures, I offer to You, my God, the faultless and perfect obedience of Your Son, who in the days of His flesh, loved You perfectly with His whole heart and depended completely on You." (p. 39)

"For these and all my sins and failures, I offer to You, most holy Father, the perfect obedience of Your Son, who loved all people with perfect love." (P. 41)

Thank you.  That is very helpful. 
David Charlton  

Weedon

You're welcome. Might also be of interest the bit of Gerhard from his Confessio Catholica which Piepkorn put into English for us:

In the celebration of the Eucharist 'we proclaim the Lord's death' (1 Cor. 11:26) and pray that God would be merciful to us on account of that holy and immaculate sacrifice completed on the cross and on account of that holy Victim which is certainly present in the Eucharist.... That he would in kindness receive and grant a place to the rational and spiritual oblation of our prayer.  (Confessio Catholica, vol II, par II, arti xiv, cap. I, ekthesis 6, 1200-1201)

It is clear that the sacrifice takes place in heaven, not on earth, inasmuch as the death and passion of God's beloved Son is offered to God the Father by way of commemoration... In the Christian sacrifice there is no victim except the real and substantial body of Christ, and in the same way there is no true priest except Christ Himself.  Hence, this sacrifice once offered on the cross takes place continually in an unseen fashion in heaven by way of commemoration, when Christ offers to His Father on our behalf His sufferings of the past, especially when we are applying ourselves to the sacred mysteries, and this is the 'unbloody sacrifice' which is carried out in heaven.  (1204)

J. Thomas Shelley

Gerhards's petitions are worthy of this conclusion:

"Through the grace, compassion, and love for mankind of Your only-begotten Son, with whom You are blessed, together with Your all-holy, good, and life-creating Spirit, now and forever and to the ages of ages."

(Final Doxology before the preparation of the Chalice for Communion)

J. Thomas Shelley

Quote from: Weedon on October 12, 2023, 07:02:11 PMYou're welcome. Might also be of interest the bit of Gerhard from his Confessio Catholica which Piepkorn put into English for us:

It is clear that the sacrifice takes place in heaven, not on earth, inasmuch as the death and passion of God's beloved Son is offered to God the Father by way of commemoration... In the Christian sacrifice there is no victim except the real and substantial body of Christ, and in the same way there is no true priest except Christ Himself.  Hence, this sacrifice once offered on the cross takes place continually in an unseen fashion in heaven by way of commemoration, when Christ offers to His Father on our behalf His sufferings of the past, especially when we are applying ourselves to the sacred mysteries, and this is the 'unbloody sacrifice' which is carried out in heaven.  (1204)

The conclusion of the Prayer of the Cherubic Hymn:

Look down upon me, Your sinful and unprofitable servant, and cleanse my soul and heart of a wicked conscience; and enable me, by the power of Your Holy Spirit, clothed with the grace of the priesthood, to stand before Your holy Table and celebrate the Mystery of Your holy and pure Body and Your precious Blood. I come before You with my head bowed, and I implore You: Turn not Your face away from me, nor reject me from among Your children, but make me, Your sinful and unworthy servant, worthy to offer these gifts to You. For You are the One Who both offers and is offered, the One Who is received and is distributed, O Christ our God, and to You we offer up glory, with Your Father, Who is without beginning, and Your all-holy and good and life-creating Spirit, now and forever and to the ages of ages. Amen

Weedon

Thomas, during the elevation at our Church it is my custom to pray privately:

(At the host)
Thine own of Thine own, which Thou didst offer on behalf of all and for all.
My Lord and my God.

(At the cup_
Thine own of Thine own, which Thou didst offer on behalf of all and for all.
We therefore pray to Thee to help Thy servants whom Thou hast redeemed with this, Thy precious blood; make them to be numbered with Thy saints in glory everlasting.

DCharlton

Thanks again, Thomas and Will.  I appreciate the discussion.
David Charlton  

Padre Emeritus

Being of Polish Roman Catholic heritage, St Pope John Paul II promoted the experience of a Polish nun who saw Christ as the God of Divine Mercy.  The icon shows Christ with beams of light radiating from His heart.  When we were privileged to serve a couple of weeks at the Lutheran Cathedral in Vilnius, Lithuania, we visited the Holy Spirit Church which was a gift from the King of Poland way back when. 

I used the images and concept in the last parish I served before the first retirement (I am on number 4 now) and it was well received.  I still have the icon in my home study.
The Old Padre Dave Poedel, now retired, coming back to catch up with friends, old and new

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk