0 (0%)
Maundy Thursday service without Communion and no Good Friday service
0 (0%)
Good Friday service only--no Maundy Thursday
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 29

J. Thomas Shelley

Two (hopefully isolated) incidents in the same county:

1)  The congregation which I had previously served will, for the first time in many decades, forego having any service whatsoever on Maundy Thursday.   They will, however, have a service on Good Friday which I find surprising because when I began serving there it was an uphill battle to have a Good Friday service.

2)  A UCC congregation a few miles away will not be having Communion on Maundy Thursday but will have "a handwashing ceremony" as part of their service.

Are similar patterns emerging in other areas?
Greek Orthodox Deacon - Ecumenical Patriarchate
Ordained to the Holy Diaconate Mary of Egypt Sunday A.D. 2022

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Boris

I guess they could not bear the horror of having two church services during the week. It might make them have to expend effort.

Brian Stoffregen

I haven't seen what the congregation I served is doing. Their new minister just arrived. I answered with my practice over 43 years. Maundy Thursday was always a communion service, and a Tenebrae service on Good Friday (with no communion). In some places, the tradition was that first communion was served on Maundy Thursday. I've heard that an old tradition that one of the four annual communion services was on Maundy Thursday. Some believed that Luther's three or four times a year was the maximum amount one should receive, rather than a minimum.
I flunked retirement. Serving as a part-time interim in Ferndale, WA.

RDPreus

When I was a boy I went to a Lutheran school, was confirmed on Palm Sunday, and received first Communion on Maundy Thursday.  When I served a congregation with a school, they had the same custom.  No other church I served did.  I think it's because you can get the kids ready for confirmation by Palm Sunday if you have a school.  If not, it's hard to do.  I've never heard of a church not having Communion on Maundy Thursday.

J. Thomas Shelley

Quote from: Brian Stoffregen on March 11, 2023, 10:35:42 PM
I've heard that an old tradition that one of the four annual communion services was on Maundy Thursday. Some believed that Luther's three or four times a year was the maximum amount one should receive, rather than a minimum.

In the UMC of my childhood "quarterly Communion" was the norm.   First Sunday in January, Maundy Thursday, first Sunday in July (poorly attended because of the Independence Day weekend) and "Worldwide Communion Sunday" on the first Sunday of October.

From reading the newsletters of my predecessor from the 1940's through 60's that was also the pattern in the Jefferson Lutheran Parish.
Greek Orthodox Deacon - Ecumenical Patriarchate
Ordained to the Holy Diaconate Mary of Egypt Sunday A.D. 2022

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

D. Engebretson

In all the parishes I have served, my current parish is the only one that had the custom of offering Holy Communion on Good Friday as well as Maundy Thursday. 
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

RDPreus

My vicarage congregation (Our Savior's in Crookston, MN) is the only congregation to which I belonged that had Communion on Good Friday.  When you think about it, it's a great time to have Communion!

wmattsfield

To expand, here's my Holy Week Schedule (for a small church that currently averages 50 on a Sunday)

Palm Sunday Divine Service
Holy Monday Noon Prayer Service (Responsive Prayer 1) with Lunch
Holy Tuesday Noon Prayer Service (Responsive Prayer 2) with Lunch
Holy Wednesday Noon Prayer Service (Daily Prayer for Noon) with Lunch
Holy Thursday Morning Divine Service
Holy Thursday Evening Divine Service
Good Friday Chief Service (with Communion)
Good Friday Tenebrae Vespers
Easter Vigil (with Communion)

And yes, I'm the sole pastor.

Steven W Bohler

Quote from: RDPreus on March 12, 2023, 09:08:05 AM
My vicarage congregation (Our Savior's in Crookston, MN) is the only congregation to which I belonged that had Communion on Good Friday.  When you think about it, it's a great time to have Communion!

It still does.  As does its sister, First English of Eldred MN.  By the way, we were in a blizzard warning here until 7:00 AM this morning.  We only had 12 in worship at the 8:00 service (counting me, the organist, the usher, and the sound person) -- normally we have 70-80; Sunday school is canceled as is worship at First English.  Kind of curious what our 11:00 attendance will be; it is usually the smaller of the two services (usually around 25-30)..

Tom Eckstein

Quote from: Steven W Bohler on March 12, 2023, 10:52:01 AM

It still does.  As does its sister, First English of Eldred MN.  By the way, we were in a blizzard warning here until 7:00 AM this morning.  We only had 12 in worship at the 8:00 service (counting me, the organist, the usher, and the sound person) -- normally we have 70-80; Sunday school is canceled as is worship at First English.  Kind of curious what our 11:00 attendance will be; it is usually the smaller of the two services (usually around 25-30)..

I ended up canceling Sunday morning Services today at Concordia in Jamestown, ND.  Even though the snow stopped last night the city streets in Jamestown are so bad that most people don't dare drive unless they have a 4 wheel drive pick-up, and even some of those are getting stuck!
I'm an LCMS Pastor in Jamestown, ND.

RDPreus

Our congregation, Faith in Silver Bay, cancelled church today.  It's still snowing.

Pilgrim

Historically, from what I learned, Good Friday was the one day of the year when you did not celebrate Communion.
Pr. Tim Christ, STS

peter_speckhard

We always have communion on Maundy Thursday evening, then a Tre Ore with seven sermons noon-three on Good Friday as well as a Tenebrae service in the evening of Good Friday, but no communion.

Dan Fienen

We do Communion on Maundy Thursday, followed by a stripping of the Altar. I've varied from the standard use of Psalm 22 with the stripping of the Altar to having the congregation sing the first 3 stanzas of "Go to Dark Gethsemane."

For Good Friday I do not vest but rather wear a Black Clerical with Black trousers. In my current congregation consisting of primarily retires, we traditionally hold midweek services at 4:00 pm so members don't have to drive after dark. Little point of a Tenebrae service in the afternoon before dark. We do use the Improperia (Reproaches) with stanzas of "Lamb of God, Pure and Holy." We close out the service with a recording of
Lord, let at last Thine angels come,
To Abr'ham's bosom bear me home,
     That I may die unfearing;
And in its narrow chamber keep
My body safe in peaceful sleep
     Until Thy reappearing.
And then from death awaken me,
That these mine eyes with joy may see,
     O Son of God, Thy glorious face,
     My Savior and my fount of grace.
Lord Jesus Christ, my prayer attend, my prayer attend,
And I will praise Thee without end.
Bach used that as the closing choral of his St. John Passion.

Since we started using screens during Covid, I put together a series of slides to illustrate it.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Rev. Edward Engelbrecht

Quote from: Tom Eckstein on March 12, 2023, 01:03:25 PM

I ended up canceling Sunday morning Services today at Concordia in Jamestown, ND.  Even though the snow stopped last night the city streets in Jamestown are so bad that most people don't dare drive unless they have a 4 wheel drive pick-up, and even some of those are getting stuck!

So sorry to see this, Tom. We lost 2022 Christmas Eve and Christmas,  though I still had services at the church to post on line. Disappointing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk