News:

Main Menu

Dr. James Nestingen, RIP

Started by Jeremy_Loesch, January 01, 2023, 07:13:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy_Loesch

Hello all,

Dr. James Nestingen fell asleep in Jesus Saturday, Dec. 31st, 2022. I know he was close friends with Dr. John Pless who sometimes posts here. I pray for comfort in the certain resurrection of the dead for all who mourn.

Rest eternal, grant him, O Lord.

Jeremy

J. Thomas Shelley

"With the Saints give rest, O Christ, to the soul of Your servant
where there is no pain, no sorrow, no sighing, but life everlasting."

May his Memory be Eternal!
Greek Orthodox Deacon - Ecumenical Patriarchate
Ordained to the Holy Diaconate Mary of Egypt Sunday A.D. 2022

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Jim Butler

I've been listening to presentations by Dr. Nestingen on various podcasts recently. He was a tremendous scholar. I pray God's peace upon his family.
"Pastor Butler... [is] deaf to the cries of people like me, dismissing our concerns as Satanic scenarios, denouncing our faith and our very existence."--Charles Austin

jtpless

Jim Nestingen was a wonderful friend. Our friendship goes back to 1984 and we collaborated on many projects together. Most recently he contributed an article on "The Theology of the Cross in the Lord's Prayer" in LUTHER"S LARGE CATECHISM WITH ANNOTATIONS AND CONTEMPORARY APPLICATION which is scheduled for release from CPH next month. I was a special privilege to serve with Jim on the NALC/LCMS/LCC Dialogue since 2011. We were co-editors along with Al Collver of THE NECESSARY DISTINCTION, a collection of essays on law and gospel which grew out of the dialogue. His presence will be sorely missed but I'm grateful for the Lord's bountiful gifts to and through Jim will remain. JTP+

Pilgrim

I was blessed to know Jim over several years. His uncle installed me in my first parish, and we became friends over many contacts over the years. My only regret was that I wasn't able to sit in one of his seminary classes. The stories abound. Jim's lectures and presentations always reminded me of a theological edition of the "News from Lake Woebegone" with amazing humor, insight and truth. His passing is a great loss to the Church. May he rest in peace and may light perpetual shine upon him.

Pr. Tim Christ, STS
Pr. Tim Christ, STS

peterm

I was blessed to take several classes from him during my years at Luther Sem 90-94.  I learned much from him.  I always felt it unfortunate that he backed himself into a corner of his own making with such a radical approach to Word Alone and the CCM document.  thereby removing an important voice from the wider conversation at Luther.  Rest eternal grant him O Lord
Rev. Peter Morlock- ELCA pastor serving two congregations in WIS

MEKoch

While I never had Nestingen as a professor in seminary, he was a frequent teacher at pastor's conferences.  About two years ago he presented the "Grammar of the Gospel."

1.   Christ is always the subject of the verb:  he is the one working, acting, healing, casting out demons, feeding the hungry.  We are acted upon and not the ones acting.  Therefore, we preach Christ and not ourselves.  Two rare exceptions: Syrophoenician woman and the woman with a flow of blood.

2.   His actions are always unconditional and finished:  "Your sins (all and every) are forgiven for Jesus' sake."   Our work is conditional and sinful.  He forgives us and those who sin against us.  "In the stead and by his authority, I forgive you your sins."  "Into your hands, O merciful Savior, we commend your servant (name).  Acknowledge, we humbly beseech you, a sheep of your own fold, a lamb of your own flock, a sinner of your own redeeming."

3.   We are the direct object of his actions:  "Given for you"    He delivers the goods. No maybes, no ifs, not works by us, no dependent clauses.  Given and shed for us. 

4.   The Gospel is always in the present tense.  Yes, our justification happened on the cross (past time), but the Good News is for today. Nestingen recounted how he was holding a dying man.  He said: "The next voice you will hear is Christ Jesus calling you out of your tomb." 

Jim Butler

Quote from: Jeff-MN on January 05, 2023, 07:19:16 PM
Funeral bulletin posted: https://faithconnector.s3.amazonaws.com/saintjameslutheran/files/010623_james_nestingen.pdf

Funeral will be posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY5x_NT-Hbg

This looks to be quite a mixture of moderate to conservative Lutheranism!

Nestingen is, of course, an NALC pastor (formerly ELCA) and taught at an ELCA seminary for years (same is true of Steven Paulson). 

The service will be held at an independent Lutheran congregation (which had left the WELS) which has recently applied to join the LCMS. The congregation has been served by pastors from the WELS and the LCMS (a good friend of mine served there for several years).
"Pastor Butler... [is] deaf to the cries of people like me, dismissing our concerns as Satanic scenarios, denouncing our faith and our very existence."--Charles Austin

Jeremy_Loesch

Love the hymns in that worship service! Thanks for sharing it with us here.

Jeremy

Donald_Kirchner

Quote from: Jeff-MN on January 05, 2023, 07:19:16 PM
Funeral bulletin posted: https://faithconnector.s3.amazonaws.com/saintjameslutheran/files/010623_james_nestingen.pdf

Funeral will be posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY5x_NT-Hbg

<sigh>

I wish I'd seen this earlier. My parents are members of St James; they were married there over 76 years ago. I was down there today to take my Dad to a medical appointment. I could have stayed over and attended the funeral tomorrow.

I did have Dr Nestingen for a Confession class in the Masters program at Luther. Awesome, of course! I also heard him give presentations several times. The first was at a convocation in the President's Room during my first year at Sem StL. As we were leaving Jeff Gibbs and JAO III were behind me. I heard Preus say, "We should try to get him here." Gibbs' response, "No, I think he should stay right where he is. Leaven."

When I graduated, I stopped in to see Robert Kolb and, in our conversation, I related that story. He said, being a good friend and colleague of Nestingen''s, "That's exactly what I told him."

The last time I saw Dr Nestingen was in the lobby of Orchestra Hall in Mpls for a performance of Handels Messiah. We had a brief conversation.

I am so blessed to have known Jim Nestingen and to have been taught by him. RIP

PS: I once took a CLE course, and his wife, a lawyer, was a presenter. Lots of talent in that family!
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it's not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

Tom Eckstein

First, I have heard many good things about Dr. Nestingen.  All glory to God!

Question for those who knew Dr. Nestingen better than I did:   Was he in favor of female pastors?  I'm NOT asking this to start a discussion about this issue.  I'm simply curious.  I know a few (very few) former ELCA pastors who were NOT in favor of female pastors.  I was just wondering if Dr. Nestigen was one of those few.
I'm an LCMS Pastor in Jamestown, ND.

Donald_Kirchner

Quote from: Tom Eckstein on January 06, 2023, 11:35:05 AM

Question for those who knew Dr. Nestingen better than I did:   Was he in favor of female pastors?  I'm NOT asking this to start a discussion about this issue.  I'm simply curious.  I know a few (very few) former ELCA pastors who were NOT in favor of female pastors.  I was just wondering if Dr. Nestigen was one of those few.

I'm not sure that it matters, Tom.

This video shows Nestingen's and Rosenbladt's views on Homosexuality and Woman's Ordination in the Church. It's all good, but I particularly recommend Rosenbladt's warning, starting at the 12-minute mark.

"Around the Table with Nestingen and Rosenbladt: Homosexuality and Woman's Ordination in the Church"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc-L0ipwMqk

Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it's not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

Brian Stoffregen

I can't say what is view was on female pastors, but at a conference I attended, he was a co-presenter with a female pastor, Susan Briehl, if I remember right. It sounded like that they had done this "dog and pony show" a few other times.

Having listened to the video, I believe that she was part of the excellent preacher period of women's ordination. I started seminary 2 years after the first women were ordained. I somewhat agree with him. The first group of women who came through were trail-blazers. They were a bit like the linemen who opened paths for the next crop of female clergy who were some of the best pastors our seminaries produced. One of them, a good friend, became the first female bishop in the ELCA. The second female bishop was also in that same class of seminarians.
I flunked retirement. Serving as a part-time interim in Ferndale, WA.

Tom Eckstein

Quote from: Donald_Kirchner on January 06, 2023, 03:37:44 PM

I'm not sure that it matters, Tom.

This video shows Nestingen's and Rosenbladt's views on Homosexuality and Woman's Ordination in the Church. It's all good, but I particularly recommend Rosenbladt's warning, starting at the 12-minute mark.

"Around the Table with Nestingen and Rosenbladt: Homosexuality and Woman's Ordination in the Church"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc-L0ipwMqk

Don, I'm not sure I understand the point of your comment:  "I'm not sure that it matters, Tom." Matters for what?  I was simply curious about his position on women's ordination because I knew a few ELCA pastors and theologians who were opposed to female pastors even while remaining in the ELCA (which, I'm sure, was not easy for them).  I was just curious if Nestingen was one of them.  However, if he DID affirm female pastors I would have considered him to be in error on that but that fact wouldn't change that he was right and orthodox about many other things theological.

Anyway, thanks for the video link!

Tom
I'm an LCMS Pastor in Jamestown, ND.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk