Main Menu

Jemar Tisby

Started by Rev. Edward Engelbrecht, May 31, 2023, 08:17:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rev. Edward Engelbrecht

Dave Benke

Quote from: Rev. Edward Engelbrecht on May 31, 2023, 08:17:18 AM
Has anyone read books by Jemar Tisby?

https://religionnews.com/2023/05/30/how-jemar-tisby-became-radioactive-for-evangelicals/

Yes.

The article seems thorough and well-researched.  He often writes and speaks about the conservative evangelical movement with specific attention to  Christian educational institutions and racism.   

Dave Benke

It's OK to Pray

Rev. Edward Engelbrecht

Quote from: Dave Benke on May 31, 2023, 10:00:13 AM

https://religionnews.com/2023/05/30/how-jemar-tisby-became-radioactive-for-evangelicals/

Yes.

The article seems thorough and well-researched.  He often writes and speaks about the conservative evangelical movement with specific attention to  Christian educational institutions and racism.   

Dave Benke

Thank you. I confirmed two students of Puerto Rican heritage on Sunday.  I've told folks here that I believe the future of Emmanuel will be increasingly among other ethnic groups.  The congregation seems comfortable with this so far. I thought I might read something from Tisby about his experience as I think about the changes Emmanuel and the neighborhood are going through.

Dave Benke

Quote from: Rev. Edward Engelbrecht on May 31, 2023, 10:58:16 AM
Quote from: Dave Benke on May 31, 2023, 10:00:13 AM

Yes.

Dave Benke

Thank you. I confirmed two students of Puerto Rican heritage on Sunday.  I've told folks here that I believe the future of Emmanuel will be increasingly among other ethnic groups.  The congregation seems comfortable with this so far. I thought I might read something from Tisby about his experience as I think about the changes Emmanuel and the neighborhood are going through.

Don't forget, Ed, that June 11 is National Puerto Rican Day Parade Festival.  Maybe in Columbus, definitely in NYC.  Three to four million in attendance (!). 
This being New York, for years those of us in the 75th Precinct have had our neighborhood barricaded off by 11 AM, because of the numbers of Latinos here, in conjunction with the fear of crime and violence.  Outside of a lot of cars draped in flags and folks drinking on the corners, there was really no violence. 
However, for those of us having church services with people trying to drive/park, a basic nightmare for getting out of church.  So we have an announcement this Sunday warning attendees to plan for an extra fifteen minutes to get out of the neighborhood. 

You might use the word "Boriqua" and see what your new Puerto Rican folks say.  Boriqua comes from the indigenous name for the island, "Borinquen."  Many to most Puerto Ricans have some remnant indigenous Taino blood in them, but the colonial Spanish basically wiped the Taino off the face of the planet.  So Boriqua has come to mean someone who lives in or is heritage (like the New Yoricans, viz) Borinquen/Puerto Rican. 

You could also learn a little reggaeton and sing "Que bonita bandera" with a bunch of Lutherans from East New York Brooklyn.

Dave Benke
It's OK to Pray

Fcdwyn

Ed,
Faultlines -- The Social Justice Movement and Evangelicalism's Looming Catastrophe, by Voddie T. Baucham, Jr. (2020) I found to be a worthwhile read.

K. S. Hahn, CSL '72

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk