Requiescat in pace J.A.O Preus III

Started by Jeremy_Loesch, August 05, 2022, 03:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy_Loesch

Just saw notice from a friend connected to Concordia Irvine that Jack Preus III fell asleep in Jesus on Aug. 4th. Starting in 1998 he was president at Concordia Irvine.

I had him for Systematics III at St. Louis. He was one of the finest profs I had. He was good in the classroom, even better in the snack bar. Our class ended at 2:50. He would frequently say, "I'm going to the snack bar to get a pop. If any of you want to come, we can keep talking." If I wasn't working, I'd join the conversation. Sometimes it was more systematics, sometimes it was parish life, and sometimes it was just life. He was a fine man.

Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord. Yes, says the Spirit, they shall rest from their labors and all their works shall follow after them.

Jeremy

Dave Likeness

J.A.O. Preus III was President of Concordia, University Irvine, 1998-2009
His grandfather was the 20th Governor of Minnesota
His father was 8th LCMS President, former President of Concordia, Sem, Springfield

Definitely some leadership ability in the J.A.O Preus I, II, III family.

J. Thomas Shelley

Greek Orthodox Deacon - Ecumenical Patriarchate
Ordained to the Holy Diaconate Mary of Egypt Sunday A.D. 2022

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Rev. Edward Engelbrecht

Praise and thanks be to the Lord for his service and sound teaching. I appreciated him as a professor, noting this: often a student would ask a question; he would listen, then reply, "What's your real question?" to draw the student's thoughts out more clearly and get to a proper answer. Very helpful technique.

I also recall discussion of Chemnitz's Two Nature's in Christ. A great learning opportunity.

Donald_Kirchner

Jeremy,

Took the same class. Excellent!

Yes, one of the profs who hung out and talked to us. What a nice man!
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it's not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

Dave Benke

Jack III had a missionary's heart for Gospel outreach, was fluent in the Spanish language, and enjoyed discussing that passion for those without Christ while playing golf, which we did a number of times through the years.   Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord!

Dave Benke
It's OK to Pray

Donald_Kirchner

Quote from: Rev. Edward Engelbrecht on August 05, 2022, 07:29:50 PM
Praise and thanks be to the Lord for his service and sound teaching. I appreciated him as a professor, noting this: often a student would ask a question; he would listen, then reply, "What's your real question?" to draw the student's thoughts out more clearly and get to a proper answer. Very helpful technique.

Yes, I remember Prof doing that!
Don Kirchner

Pastor Bob Pase

He was one of my favorite professors. Systematics, Justification, and couple more. Always had time to talk with us students.
Well done, good and faithful servant!

Mbecker

Indeed, Jack was a great guy, and I'm saddened to learn of his death. He was completing his Th.D. during my first two years at the seminary in SL. Our paths crossed in a couple of classes, but I most remember our lunches. As a result of those conversations, later, during my fourth year, he asked me to be his research assistant, an assignment which I enjoyed a great deal. We met weekly in his office. At that time, he was interested in the Christian theology of revelation. So I spent many an hour in the library that academic year, compiling a kind of typology of various approaches to the topic. Our discussions were always interesting (especially when they took place over an appropriate beverage). I was also working in the library at the time, a job that entailed processing new books for the collection. Jack did a great service to the seminary's holdings by adding many dozens of books in and about liberation theology, which had been the focus of his doctoral dissertation. I think that given his family history, he felt a certain level of freedom to explore areas of theology that others saw as off-limits or not worth the trouble. And, as has been noted, he could read the principal Central- and South-American works in their original language. Not only that, but he stressed that we can learn a great deal from liberation theologians. He was struck, for example, by the apparent agreements between Boff's theology of the church (early 1980s) and emphases in Luther's ecclesiology. And Jack himself stressed that the church needs to be concerned about issues of poverty and racism. Still later, when I took courses with Robert Bertram at LSTC, I was struck by how similiar his approach to and critique of liberation theologies was to JAOP III's. Later still, when I co-founded the colloquium viatorum, which met annually on the SL seminary campus for several years, Jack took part in some of those discussions and post-conference soirees (usually at Norman Nagel's home). (Matt Harrison took part in a couple of those sessions, too, come to think of it. Robert Bertram participated, too, one year, after I had invited him to join us--the first time he had returned for theological discussion on 801's campus since the exile....)

The last time I saw Jack was at one of the CUS gatherings in the 1990s. Despite the hot water I was already in at that time, he was gracious and friendly. He even joked that he was glad I was teaching at Portland and not at Irvine....

May he rest in God's peace and may light perpetual shine upon him.

Matt Becker

Donald_Kirchner

Excellent "In Memoriam" by Dr Charles Arand in the Winter 2023 Concordia Journal.
Don Kirchner

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk