Thrice holy fount, thrice holy fire

Started by Jeremy_Loesch, June 14, 2021, 09:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy_Loesch

Hello friends. Yesterday we sang "Creator Spirit, by Whose Aid". It's a wonderful hymn. It includes the words of the title of this thread. What do they mean?

I think I get the thrice holy fire- burning bush, coal taken from the altar in heaven that purifies Isaiah, and Pentecost. But I don't think I know the thrice holy fount. Any guesses or answers?

Thanks. Jeremy

George Rahn

Immersed three times in the pool of the baptistry?  Good question

Michael Slusser

Does "Thrice Holy" have to be distributed, or could it simply be "Holy, Holy, Holy," applied to the the Spirit of God and emphasizing the Spirit's divinity?

Should we ask John Dryden, who Englished the Latin hymn?  ;)

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

J. Thomas Shelley

The Orthodox Baptismal service is replete with three-fold repetitions, including the central section of the prayer for blessing the waters:

We confess Your Grace; we proclaim Your beneficence; we do not hide Your Mercy; You have set at liberty the generations of our nature; You did hallow the virginal Womb by Your Birth; all creation praises You, Who did manifest Yourself, for You were seen upon the earth, and did sojourn with men. You hallowed the streams of Jordan, sending down from the Heavens Your Holy Spirit, and crushed the heads of dragons that lurked therein.

Do you yourself, O Loving King, be present now also through the descent of your Holy Spirit and hallow this water.
  Do you yourself, O Loving King, be present now also through the descent of your Holy Spirit and hallow this water.
   Do you yourself, O Loving King, be present now also through the descent of your Holy Spirit and hallow this water..

And give to it the Grace of Redemption, the Blessing of Jordan. Make it a fountain of incorruption, a gift of sanctification, a loosing of sins, a healing of sicknesses, a destruction of demons, unapproachable by hostile powers, filled with angelic might; and let them that take counsel together against Your creature flee there from, for I have called upon Your Name, O Lord, which is wonderful, and glorious, and terrible unto adversaries.

Greek Orthodox Deacon - Ecumenical Patriarchate
Ordained to the Holy Diaconate Mary of Egypt Sunday A.D. 2022

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk