News:

Main Menu

Confirmation Verses

Started by Mark Brown, May 19, 2021, 09:36:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Johnson

I never had a confirmation verse, but if I were going to assign one to myself it would be Psalm 69.6: "O God, you know my foolishness, and my faults are not hidden from you."
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Mark Brown

Quote from: Richard Johnson on May 31, 2021, 01:03:27 PM
I never had a confirmation verse, but if I were going to assign one to myself it would be Psalm 69.6: "O God, you know my foolishness, and my faults are not hidden from you."

When you assign them, that verse represents roughly roughly one pole of the spectrum which runs from reality to aspiration. The temptation to pick out a verse such as Micah 6:8 ("He has told you, O Man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God.") with heavy emphasis on the first part for that kid you know you aren't seeing again, is unimaginable. But then you see Proverbs 23:17 ("Let not your heart envy sinners, but continue in the fear of the Lord all the day") and you steer away from that much reality.  Likewise, my confirmation verse, Joshua 1:9 (in the KJV it was memorized in, "Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.") feels a little too aspirational these days.  Not that it isn't true and good advice, a light in a dark place when all others grow dim, but we are not exactly generation courage.  Isaiah 43:1 ("Fear not, for I have redeemed you, I have called you by name, you are mine.") gets at the same blessing without invoking Braveheart.

Weedon

My verse was: "But grace was given to each of us according to the measure of Christ's gift." Eph 4:7

I remember not having the first CLUE what that meant.

RogerMartim

I don't remember my confirmation verse at all. I'd have to look it up. I asked my mother today who is almost 98 if she remembers her confirmation verse and she said, "Of course," and rattled right off.

Timothy Schenks

Mine: Ephesians 2:8-9. Everyone should know that one.  ;D
LCMS Layman

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk