Closing Matters on Friday Afternoon

Started by Richard Johnson, August 10, 2007, 06:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Johnson

The chair was turned over the VP, who brought the budget before the house. With no debate, it was approved by 99%.

The president (Nathaniel Viets-VanLear) and vice-president (Walter Hampton II) of the Lutheran Youth Organization were called to the podium. Long ovation, which they obviously enjoyed. They called attention to the LYO report in the assembly material. "If you believe in us, empower us! We can do unimaginable things. We're excited to make change—within ourselves, within our peer group, within our church, and within the world." 4:24 campaign: Acts 4:24, "When they heard it, they raised their voices in prayer to God." We invite everyone to pray at 4:24 p.m. every day.

This was followed by a film clip advertising the 2009 Youth Gathering in New Orleans, and a presentation from the Youth Convo. A song was sung, a prayer was prayed. Another ovation. [An aside: I was an activist youth many decades ago now. I have to admit that I always feel these "Youth Convo" things, both at my synod assembly and here, kind of taste like paternalism. We bring the youth in, parade them across the stage, let them entertain us, and then applaud like crazy, and then send them back out. The real "involvement" of youth takes place in the several young people who were elected voting members of this assembly, and who have participated faithfully and fully.]

Greetings from the president of Women of the ELCA. "How much will you pay me to keep this to 15 seconds?" Apparently not enough, since she didn't. Again, all these courtesies are important, I suppose, but I find they get a bit wearisome.

After announcements, Bishop Hanson presented Lowell Almen with the Sevus Dei award (an award given to officers of the ELCA upon their retirement from office). Long ovation.

And a long session tomorrow, I am sure. I understand there will be a press conference with the bishops who have been proposing these substitutes in a few moments, so I'll stay here and cover it.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

J. Thomas Shelley

Quote from: Richard Johnson on August 10, 2007, 06:12:18 PM
Again, all these courtesies are important, I suppose, but I find they get a bit wearisome.

....and expensive.  Divide the total cost of the Churchwide Assembly  by the total minutes of plenary time and the result will be well into the thousands per minute.
Greek Orthodox Deacon - Ecumenical Patriarchate
Ordained to the Holy Diaconate Mary of Egypt Sunday A.D. 2022

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Charles_Austin

Tom Shelley writes:
....and expensive.  Divide the total cost of the Churchwide Assembly  by the total minutes of plenary time and the result will be well into the thousands  per minute.

I comment:
Many many things go on outside plenary time. And would you rather we did not ask a more than a thousand people from all over the ELCA review the work of our church and act on our major policies?

J. Thomas Shelley

Quote from: Charles_Austin on August 10, 2007, 06:55:59 PM
Tom Shelley writes:
....and expensive.  Divide the total cost of the Churchwide Assembly  by the total minutes of plenary time and the result will be well into the thousands  per minute.

I comment:
Many many things go on outside plenary time. And would you rather we did not ask a more than a thousand people from all over the ELCA review the work of our church and act on our major policies?

No, I am only pointing out that throughout plenary time the meter is running, and every courtesy, every greeting, and every presentation by one group or another (such as affliated units, SMOs, colleges, and larger conciliar bodies)  is a measurable use of Mission Support resources. 

Mel Harris

Quote from: Richard Johnson on August 10, 2007, 06:12:18 PM

I understand there will be a press conference with the bishops who have been proposing these substitutes in a few moments, so I'll stay here and cover it.

Am I correct in assuming that the press conference mentioned above was either cancelled or postponed?

Mel Harris

Dave_Poedel

Just an observation:  This Assembly seems to spend very little time debating and voting on issues.  There seems to be lots of speeches/reports, greetings, and other non-legislative matters.  I really like the rules that mandate prayer time.  As one watching online, the breaks seem really long, but as Charles notes (and I concur), a lot of valuable stuff happens in the hallways, restrooms and exhibit area.

The system of getting Memorials to the floor seems to standardize things more than I have observed in LCMS Conventions, with fewer Memorials actually getting to the floor (maybe that is what I was trying to say in the previous paragraph)

Charles_Austin

Tom Shelley writes:
every courtesy, every greeting, and every presentation by one group or another (such as affliated units, SMOs, colleges, and larger conciliar bodies)  is a measurable use of Mission Support resources.

I comment:
And every such presentation is a means of increasing Mission Support, as voting members and visitors get first-hand exposure to our programs and mission activities and take that information back to their synods and congregations.

ptmccain

I noticed how many of the teenagers on the stage were wearing the scarves of the pro-homosexuality agenda group.

J. Thomas Shelley

Quote from: Charles_Austin on August 11, 2007, 08:29:40 AM
Tom Shelley writes:
every courtesy, every greeting, and every presentation by one group or another (such as affliated units, SMOs, colleges, and larger conciliar bodies)  is a measurable use of Mission Support resources.

I comment:
And every such presentation is a means of increasing Mission Support, as voting members and visitors get first-hand exposure to our programs and mission activities and take that information back to their synods and congregations.

As one who for a decade endured five day judicatory level Annual Conference meetings in the United Methodist Church--a full day's worth of plenary time being consumed with courtesies and presentations--I can assure you that can have exactly the opposite effect, particularly when presenters read lengthy sections of their printed reports or are otherwise less than charismatic and engaging. "Is that the best they can do?" and "no wonder s/he isn't in a parish anymore" were the types of comments I would hear.

When I pointed out to that Annual Conference leadership how the meter was running and just how much these "commercials" were costing an effort was made to tame that tiger.   But that was nearly two decades ago so I have no idea what the present practice might be in Central Pennsylvania UMC.

Maryland Brian

Quote from: ptmccain on August 11, 2007, 10:26:13 AM
I noticed how many of the teenagers on the stage were wearing the scarves of the pro-homosexuality agenda group.

Go look at the LYO page on the ELCA website. See below. In the past I have contacted LYO and asked them to define for me "all sexual orientations" and was met with vague platitudes about welcoming all God's children.  Having served a congregation 15 years after a pedophile pastor who had multiple contacts in the congregation, it is beyond naive for them to post such nonsense.

As a congregation we don't participate in any LYO activities.  The advocates have firm control of that ministry. Unless you want your youth to be indoctrinated - best to avoid LYO and most ELCA campus ministry programs.

http://www.elca.org/lyo/

Statement of Welcome

The LYO welcomes people of all sexual orientation into membership, and we invite youth of all sexual orientations to share in the spiritual and general life of the organization!

-Board of the LYO, March 2004

MD Brian

Richard Johnson

Quote from: ptmccain on August 11, 2007, 10:26:13 AM

Yes, and I happen to know that it was specifically asked that anyone on the podium refrain from any scarves, buttons, or other indications of support for any issues. Apparently that doesn't apply to youth. Another example of paternalism.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Brian Stoffregen

Quote from: Richard Johnson on August 11, 2007, 11:54:05 AM
Yes, and I happen to know that it was specifically asked that anyone on the podium refrain from any scarves, buttons, or other indications of support for any issues. Apparently that doesn't apply to youth. Another example of paternalism.
Lo, the many years ago when we were "youth" didn't we think that anything "adults" said didn't apply to us?
I flunked retirement. Serving as a part-time interim in Ferndale, WA.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk