News:

Main Menu

+ Walter A. Maier II +

Started by D. Engebretson, October 24, 2019, 06:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D. Engebretson

I just read that Dr. Walter A. Maier II, retired professor of Concordia Theological Seminary, Ft. Wayne and past VP of Synod, has passed away.  I had Dr. Maier as a professor and remember him as a kind and committed servant of the church.  Dr. Maier is the son of the well-known Lutheran Hour speaker Walter A. Maier (speaker from 1930-1950), and the brother of Dr. Paul L. Maier, well-known author of many books including a biography of his father.  His son, Walter A. Maier III still teaches at CTS-FW as a professor of Old Testament. 

As Robert Smith, librarian at CTS-FW wrote: "It has pleased almighty God to call into his presence Walter A. Maier II, who trusted in Christ, whose tears are gone and whose sorrows have been turned into joy. May God comfort his family with the sure and cetain hope of the resurrection of the dead! Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord!"
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

D. Engebretson

My apologies for posting this twice.  I am not sure how to remove the duplicate.
Pastor Don Engebretson

Dave Benke

I am grateful for the opportunity to study with, know and work with Walter A. Maier II.  Back in Milwaukee at the Junior College level, he was the Pastor of Hope Lutheran even as he served as our Greek professor.  He was a man on the move!  We would be sitting in the classroom and he would begin teaching from out in the hallway, walking toward the door, voice getting louder and louder as he intoned either a declension or (far worse) the first question on a snap quiz.  Amazing energy.

At CTSFW when I served on the Board of Regents, he was a source of practical wisdom and direction in a very convoluted (to me at least) and difficult time. 
Walter and Leah's other son is David Maier, the President of the Michigan District.

He rests in peace with all the saints in light perpetual.

Dave Benke
It's OK to Pray

Steven W Bohler

Dr. Maier was a professor of mine, years ago.  I still laugh when I remember, in the Gospel of John class, one of my classmates (a good friend and one who would never be disrespectful or obstinate, though he sometimes was oblivious to what was being taught) translating the "steward of the feast" in John 2 as "butler".  Dr. Maier stopped my friend and corrected him, and explained at some length and conviction why "butler" was not the best translation.  Then, he told my friend to continue his translation.  Well, he went on -- and said "butler" again.  Dr. Maier stopped him and repeated his point.  Then, he told my friend to begin again.  He did, and again said "butler"!  That sent Dr. Maier into orbit.  To this day, I still don't think my friend understood what happened!

I also recall Dr. Maier, after missing a class for synod business (I believe he was a synodical VP at the time), inviting us to his home to make up the missed session later.  It was near Christmas, as I recall, and he and his wife were very kind and gracious and generous to a bunch of hungry sem students. 

Those are two of the memories I choose to recollect about Dr. Maier at his passing. 

Richard Johnson

Quote from: D. Engebretson on October 24, 2019, 06:42:20 PM
My apologies for posting this twice.  I am not sure how to remove the duplicate.

I did it for you.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

D. Engebretson

Pastor Don Engebretson

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk