LCMS Convention in Tampa, FL

Started by D. Engebretson, July 15, 2019, 01:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D. Engebretson

Just curious if any from this modest forum will be at the convention in Tampa later this week.  I am a pastoral delegate and will be assisting at the opening service.

Also curious if the convention will be covered as in past cycles.
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

peter_speckhard

Quote from: D. Engebretson on July 15, 2019, 01:16:56 PM
Just curious if any from this modest forum will be at the convention in Tampa later this week.  I am a pastoral delegate and will be assisting at the opening service.

It has its own thread(s) in the separate part of the website dedicated to conventions.

John_Hannah

Quote from: peter_speckhard on July 15, 2019, 01:39:11 PM

It has its own thread(s) in the separate part of the website dedicated to conventions.

And the ALPB is sending Pr. Paul Sauer to give you blow by blow coverage.

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

D. Engebretson

Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

mj4

For those looking for a diversion in Tampa, the Rays will be playing the White Sox on Saturday and Sunday, then the Red Sox on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. But then, why would you be looking for a diversion?

Dave Likeness

@mj4........I was a pastoral voting delegate to three LCMS Conventions

In 1975, The Convention sponsored a Lutheran Night at the stadium of the  California Angels
who played the Baltimore Orioles that night.  Tickets and Busing to the games were arranged
by the Convention.  It was a fun night which I enjoyed.

In 1979, the Convention was at St Louis and the Cardinals were away so there was no Lutheran
Night at Busch Stadium.

In 1998, the Convention was at St. Louis and again there was a Lutheran Night at Busch Stadium
Busing and Tickets were arranged and I had a really good seat for the game.

So who said that LCMS Conventions are boring.  They often provide Major League  entertainment.

Charles Austin

It was written re LCMS conventions:
They often provide Major League entertainment.
I comment:
And then, they might go to a baseball game.
ELCA PASTOR. Iowa born and raised. And look at this. Here's the old 1960s protestor and critic of our government as virtually the only "love this country" patriot in this forum.

Padre Emeritus

Quote from: John_Hannah on July 15, 2019, 01:53:06 PM

[/qu...

Peace, JOHN

That is pretty harsh.....what did he do to merit this level of punishment?
The Old Padre Dave Poedel, now retired, coming back to catch up with friends, old and new

John_Hannah

Quote from: Padre Emeritus on July 16, 2019, 09:39:34 PM

[/qu...

Peace, JOHN

You know how it works, Dave; you were in the military. Date of rank.  Paul's the youngest guy around.   ;D  He may happen also to be the smartest.

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

John_Hannah

Quote from: Padre Emeritus on July 16, 2019, 09:39:34 PM

[/qu...

Peace, JOHN

You know how it works, Dave; you were in the military. Date of rank.  Paul's the youngest guy around.   ;D  He happens also to be the smartest.

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

ptom

I heard that the WWE (World Wrestling Entertainment) is doing a show Monday night in Tampa. (coincidence?)

Tom
Life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party.

Fcdwyn

This morning after some rather awkward and last minute floor committee revisions of phrases in the Resolveds to the motion,  table, or refer the resolution for further study, Resolution 7-08, To Aid Our CUS Schools in Clear Confession (printed in Todays Business, p. 298-9) was passed with a 75% yes vote. The key phrase was that campus groups celebrating and/or affirming sinful behavior would be dealt with by ecclesiastical and other appropriate supervision.

Charles Austin

At our conventions for years it's been possible to have the full text of the resolutions on the screen, a big screen, in front of all the delegates.
Maybe that kind of technology is too liberal for the Missouri Synod?
ELCA PASTOR. Iowa born and raised. And look at this. Here's the old 1960s protestor and critic of our government as virtually the only "love this country" patriot in this forum.

Voelker

Quote from: Charles Austin on July 22, 2019, 02:12:26 PM
At our conventions for years it's been possible to have the full text of the resolutions on the screen, a big screen, in front of all the delegates.
Not at all, given what's available in many of our parishes. Likely instead are two aims: the first, to slow down / prevent amendments & rewrites; the second, to stave off anyone's complaining, when all is said and done, that they didn't have access to the text as voted on.

Brian Stoffregen

Quote from: Charles Austin on July 22, 2019, 02:12:26 PM

The Churchwide Assembly I attended as a voting member, we either brought our own or were given a tablet to use that, through the app, Guidebook, had all the resolutions and amendments, late resolutions, etc. were beamed to us through that means. The tablet took the place of the large 3" binder that they used to print for every voting member.

Anyone can download Guidebook and get the info that the voting members receive. Well, maybe. I did it a few days ago on my iPad, but when I tried just now on my iPhone, it didn't find the 2019 ELCA Churchwide Assembly.

One can also download reports from https://www.elca.org/Resources/Churchwide-Assembly?_ga=2.200412718.1469287022.1563821530-375635498.1563515325
I flunked retirement. Serving as a part-time interim in Ferndale, WA.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk