News:

Main Menu

LCMS Election

Started by peter_speckhard, June 10, 2019, 07:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Johnson

Quote from: Charles Austin on July 01, 2019, 09:42:26 AM

P.S. It is hard, sometimes harder, for Beloved Spouse, too.

True, that. My retiring from the parish was harder on my wife than on me. And she also had a harder time retiring from her profession. And a good bit of the "repositioning" has to involved "repositioning" of that relationship; that's probably the thing I least anticipated.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

John_Hannah

Quote from: Kevin Vogts on July 01, 2019, 12:19:52 PM

Do I remember correctly that at one time the LCMS had a mandatory retirement age for seminary presidents?  I seem to recall Prof. William Schmelder saying in History of the LCMS that it was put into place after President Franz Pieper declined suggestions to retire and stayed on despite failing health until his death at age 78.

That is not exactly correct. A By-law permitted Boards of Control to force retirement upon faculty members over 65; it was not required but allowed at the discretion of the board. Faculty members affected had no recourse.

In 1973 a newly elected Board of Control of Concordia Seminary, St. Louis, imposed the optional (Board's option) forced (honorable) retirement upon all the faculty members 65 and beyond. A number of beloved professors were peremptorily dismissed. That and the removal of Tietjen as president sparked SEMINEX.

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

Dave Benke

Another cautionary tale, John, from the Seminex era through the Robert Preus case.

As a 73 year old (see thread next door) there are issues of health and strength that can be raised, but to make an automatic or arbitrary decision on the basis of age is major league unwise.  Dale Meyer seems to me to be a particularly vigorous 71 or 2.

Dave Benke
It's OK to Pray

David Mahsman

Quote from: Kevin Vogts on June 30, 2019, 10:03:26 PM
Having been under the "five-year rule" myself, and also as a board member having allowed some who held such positions to sunset, no one falling under that provision has the default assumption that they will be renewed.  As I mentioned, for that very reason some good candidates turned down positions with the former Board for Communications Services, of which I was vice-chair and chair of the personnel subcommittee.  Dr. Meyer — and Dr. Rast, Dr. Ferry, etc. — accepted the position knowing that it would automatically sunset every five years.  It is not really a matter of "firing" him or even "retiring" him.  If the board simply takes no action, which is what the BCS did in several cases, his term will automatically expire.

Kevin can correct me if I'm wrong, but I can think of only one position that was under the purview of the Board for Communication Services when he served on that board that came under the five-year contract provision, and that was the executive director. And I can think of only one person who was in that position, not "several cases," whose contract was not renewed. Am I missing someone? Just concerned about historic accuracy.

Kevin Vogts

I deliberately used the ambiguous term "several" so as to obscure the number, in an attempt, perhaps naive and in vain, to prevent my comments from being linked to specific individuals.  Their service to the Synod was entirely honorable and should be remembered by us all with thanks.  The point of my comments is not in any way whatsoever to criticize those individuals.
Rev. Kevin Vogts, Pastor
Trinity Lutheran Church
Paola, Kansas
www.trinitylcms.org

Dan Fienen

Michigan District President, and SP nominee, Rev. David Maier's congratulatory message for SP Rev. Matthew Harrison can be viewed here.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Timothy Schenks

Quote from: peter_speckhard on June 26, 2019, 08:24:51 PM
Whence does the United List derive its power over the voters? Why does everyone vote for them if it is such a manifestly irrational thing to do? And is there anything preventing people from collaborating and harmonizing with the people UL forces down the voters' throats?

There is no power. They have revealed in the past that their members represent conservative Lutherans such as North Illinois Confessional Lutherans, Texas Confessional Lutherans, Balance-Concord, and Lutheran Concerns Association. A member of NICL founded the Steadfast Lutherans website. LCA publishes the Lutheran Clarion.

I don't know much about Texas or Illinois, but the LCA prints on their newsletter "THE LUTHERAN CLARION is published regularly to support issues and causes within The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod which build faithfulness to true Confessional Lutheranism and to be a clear voice of Christian concern against actions and causes which conflict with faithfulness to the One True Faith."
LCMS Layman

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk