Curious use of the word "irony" in Sundays and Seasons for Baptism of Our Lord

Started by racin_jason, December 23, 2017, 12:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

racin_jason

Sundays and Seasons is the online worship resource for ELCA churches, provided by Augsburg-Fortress, the official publishing house of the ELCA. Sundays and Seasons has grown in popularity as congregations have shifted from pre-printed bulletins from Augsburg Publishing to online resources. Most of what they provide is good enough, occasionally there are odd references or turns of phrase in the prayers which have been noted on this forum. The explanations of each scripture reading are usually pretty good. They sum-up the lection succinctly and innocuously, which is what I want as a parish pastor.

But here's the one for Baptism of Our Lord, the explanation for the Gospel reading Mark 1:4-11

Mark's gospel reports the story of Jesus' baptism with some irony: the one on whom the Spirit descends is himself the one who will baptize others with the Holy Spirit

O Henry's "Gift of the Magi" uses irony. With this explanation of Mark, I fail to see the irony. I find it fitting that the spirit descends on the one who will baptize others with the Holy Spirit, not ironic. But we live in an ironic age, where there is a mad scramble to find irony in everything, even where there is none.

Though this is hardly a cause for an uprising of villagers to grab the torches and pitchforks, I do wonder about the editing process at Sundays and Seasons. Here is an example why. 
Recipient of the official Forum Online Get Us Back on Topic Award

MaddogLutheran

Sterling Spatz
ELCA pew-sitter

Charles Austin

I never use, and almost never read those "introduction" to the lessons.  Too many are trivial, banal, strange, or otherwise off the mark. Many are badly worded, with awkward turns of their phrases.
I have written Augsburg Fortress about this. I did not receive a reply.
Iowa-born. Long-time in NY/New Jersey, former LWF staff in Geneva.
ELCA PASTOR, ordained 1967. Former journalist. Retired in Minneapolis. Often critical of the ELCA, but more often a defender of its mission. Ignoring the not-so-subtle rude insults which often appear here.

Harvey_Mozolak

I used to write them about things I found either objectionable or weird but they never seemed to respond.  There was in the early days of the project especially, something nice about a lot of things they offered.  I never did write my own intercessions (I know you are supposed to) but it was a thing too much with writing my own bible class stuff and a sermon....  their prayers did go down hill IMO but I steal steal a combo from them, CORE offerings and LCMS and do a grand meld with my own changes and additions.  Some years the art pics were to my taste and other years not so much so.  One time they did do a survey as to which artist or artists we liked and our responses were to determine who would do the next years liturgical art, I think. 
Harvey S. Mozolak
my poetry blog is listed below:

http://lineandletterlettuce.blogspot.com

J. Thomas Shelley

Quote from: Harvey_Mozolak on December 23, 2017, 04:10:20 PM
I never did write my own intercessions (I know you are supposed to)....
>90% of the time I used the Intercessions from the series God's Word is our Joy by Lucien Deiss, redacting the occasional Roman heresy.

The only S & S I ever used was an Intercession for Christ the King framed around the Te Deum
Greek Orthodox Deacon - Ecumenical Patriarchate
Ordained to the Holy Diaconate Mary of Egypt Sunday A.D. 2022

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Richard Johnson

As for the intercessions, I typically wrote them each week. But ALPB publishes some excellent liturgical resources:

Richard Bansemer, Prayers of the People: Petitionary Prayers Guided by the Texts for the Day
Eugene Lehrke, Prayers for the Eucharistic Gathering (includes collects, offertory prayers, post-communion prayers, etc.; I used this one fairly often)
Rod Ronneberg, A Little Book Of Canons: Eucharistic Prayers for Times and Seasons

If you purchase the Bansemer and Ronneberg books, you can also get free digital files to enable "cutting and pasting" into congregational service folders or bulletins.

Order any of these from the ALPB home page.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk