Pope Francis and Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros II Sign Joint Declaration

Started by cssml, April 29, 2017, 12:24:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cssml

Padre Emeritus

A beautiful Joint Declaration, indeed.  Such a long history, the recognition of the reasons for separation at the Eucharist, but the joint hope that reunion this side of the parousia will occur.

To my LCMS brothers....would it be possible for our leaders to sign such a declaration of hope for reunion without rehearsing all of the polemics of the 16th Century?  Maybe being back here is not such a good idea for me, as it is re-inflaming old passions of mine as I read how every time someone suggests that we might try to reevaluate our position toward other Christians, we recite all of the issues of the 16th Century, as if nothing in the other churches or ourselves had changed at all in 500 years...sigh.
The Old Padre Dave Poedel, now retired, coming back to catch up with friends, old and new

John_Hannah

PADRE DAVE

It is truly good for me that you are back here; I missed you.  Your absence weakened the cause of balance and moderation here.  On Palm Sunday I noted here that my church in the Bronx (Our Saviour--von Shenck's parish) hosts (rents) to the growing Coptic congregation in the Bronx.  Their President is a woman who always expresses the strongest hope for Christian unity.  That is actually the hope of most LCMS lay people and my advice to you is to simply ignore pastors with a vested interest in fueling the old polemics.

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

pr dtp

Having met and spent several hours with Pope Shenouda III back in 1989, very pleased when I read about this.  And in this 500th year, maybe we need to spend as much time praying for the unity of the one, holy, catholic and apostolic church as we will celebrate the division of His church.

He was a very humble man, who cared for his people and wanted to understand how to teach them better.  Enough so that he bought a large selection of books from the Christian Bookstore, and then spent about 20 minutes blessing the store and the staff. 

pr dtp

and more sad news from the land that gave refuge to Jesus, Mary, and Joseph

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2017/05/26/egypt-gunmen-attack-coptic-christians/102183116/

Please keep the families of the martyrs in your prayers, as well as praying for their enemies and persecutors. 

Dave Benke

Quote from: justified and sinner on May 26, 2017, 01:33:55 PM
and more sad news from the land that gave refuge to Jesus, Mary, and Joseph

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2017/05/26/egypt-gunmen-attack-coptic-christians/102183116/

Please keep the families of the martyrs in your prayers, as well as praying for their enemies and persecutors.

Absolutely horrific.  Prayers ascend!

Dave Benke
It's OK to Pray

mariemeyer

According to today's New York Times the gunman waved down the bus, ordered the passengers out and separated the men from woman and children. They told the men to recite the shahda, the Islamic declaration of faith. When the men refused, the gunman began shooting the men. Most were killed with a single shoot to the head.

What followed is still unclear.  It seems other vehicles appeared on the road in the distance, so the gunman randomly opened fired before fleeing. Had other vehicles  not appeared there could have been more blood shed.

Marie

Terry W Culler

Ah yes, once again we see the religion of peace at work in the world
"No particular Church has ... a right to existence, except as it believes itself the most perfect from of Christianity, the form which of right, should and will be universal."
Charles Porterfield Krauth

Randy Bosch

Ah, but one must remember what the Mayor of Manchester, England said about the alleged suspect in the Arena massacre:  the suspect was a terrorist, not a Muslim:

https://townhall.com/columnists/michaelbrown/2017/05/27/to-the-mayor-of-manchester-the-suicide-bomber-was-a-muslim-n2332236

gan ainm

A pet peeve of mine is to call these animals suicide bombers.  They are homicide bombers plain and simple.  Otherwise, they would not look for others to take with them.  More PC madness in the name of non-offensiveness (to the killers, not to the victims). 

Dan Fienen

While I am no fan of Islam, like most all religions there are aspects of Islam that have been interpreted such to promote such violence.  The Christian faith and Scriptures have been twisted to promote all sorts of evil and violence.  Often the leaders of such violent movements are motivated not only by religious fervor (or even particularly by religious fervor) but by lust for power, greed for material gain, revenge and similar less saintly motivation.  Religious fervor, however, is very good for motivating the cannon fodder.  The great majority of Muslims are not anxious to make war, on the rest of the world. 

Just as some people's interpretation of Christianity has lead them to defend chattel slavery in the South, form White Supremacy terrorist groups, preach a form of Male superiority that truly oppresses women, or other evils; so some people's interpretation of Islam has led them to support Jihadist terrorism.  Neither is necessarily the true form of either religion.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Voelker

Quote from: gan ainm on May 27, 2017, 01:03:37 PM
A pet peeve of mine is to call these animals suicide bombers.  They are homicide bombers plain and simple.  Otherwise, they would not look for others to take with them.  More PC madness in the name of non-offensiveness (to the killers, not to the victims).
That's reading far too much into the term. Saying suicide bomber is properly descriptive in that the person doing the bombing has no intention of getting out alive, but uses their (often otherwise normal) appearance to get into spots where they'll do the most damage through the bombs carried on their persons. Looking out for suicide bombers is a very different task than watching for "bombers" of whatever other stripe. The term homicide bomber merely describes someone who intends to kill via bombing. Think with Venn diagrams, and it will click.

gan ainm

Quote from: WJV on May 27, 2017, 01:18:06 PM
Quote from: gan ainm on May 27, 2017, 01:03:37 PM
That's reading far too much into the term. Saying suicide bomber is properly descriptive in that the person doing the bombing has no intention of getting out alive, but uses their (often otherwise normal) appearance to get into spots where they'll do the most damage through the bombs carried on their persons. Looking out for suicide bombers is a very different task than watching for "bombers" of whatever other stripe. The term homicide bomber merely describes someone who intends to kill via bombing. Think with Venn diagrams, and it will click.

If they were truly suicide bombers, they would go to the middle of an empty field to do their evil deed.  Click!   ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk