Universities work to purge male students of their ‘toxic’ masculinity

Started by Scotty8284, November 02, 2016, 10:04:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty8284

This article reports on the efforts of universities taking steps to actively purge male students of what's been labeled "toxic masculinity.":

http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/29757/

From the article:

"At a mandatory freshmen orientation training at Gettysburg College in August, male students had to watch a documentary which stated in part that the "three most destructive words" a boy can hear growing up is "be a man." The freshmen also went through breakout sessions in which they were told mass shooting sprees are rooted in toxic masculinity."

It also references a hyperlink to that article: http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/29527/

While I am not surprised that the modern "Re-education Camps" (aka "Universities") are working their hardest to destroy Western Civilization, I am surprised to find a Lutheran College has totally ripped free of its moorings and joined the fray.

Is there any accountability by Gettysburg College to the tradition which established it, or is it no longer a Lutheran institution of higher learning?  Have any pastor's heard reports from their college-age parishioners of these shenanigans?
Jim Scott
NALC Layman
Wittenberg '78

SomeoneWrites

Quote from: Scotty8284 on November 02, 2016, 10:04:33 AM
This article reports on the efforts of universities taking steps to actively purge male students of what's been labeled "toxic masculinity.":

From the article:

"At a mandatory freshmen orientation training at Gettysburg College in August, male students had to watch a documentary which stated in part that the "three most destructive words" a boy can hear growing up is "be a man." The freshmen also went through breakout sessions in which they were told mass shooting sprees are rooted in toxic masculinity."

It also references a hyperlink to that article: http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/29527/

While I am not surprised that the modern "Re-education Camps" (aka "Universities") are working their hardest to destroy Western Civilization, I am surprised to find a Lutheran College has totally ripped free of its moorings and joined the fray.

Is there any accountability by Gettysburg College to the tradition which established it, or is it no longer a Lutheran institution of higher learning?  Have any pastor's heard reports from their college-age parishioners of these shenanigans?

I think we might be better served with a discussion concerning what is "Toxic Masculinity."  Kind of like how some Christians who advocate good works would be concerned if those good works make people believe they are saved by their own strength.  That sort of thing.  Thoughts?
LCMS raised
LCMS theology major
LCMS sem grad
Atheist

Michael_Rothaar

Of interest: https://www.getreligion.org/getreligion/2016/10/26/why-dont-men-like-church-sometimes-a-story-is-hard-to-see-because-its-too-common
which is Terry Mattingly's summary of two of his columns and his latest Crossroads podcast.

He bases his comments on recent lectures by the conservative Roman Catholic author of a 1999 book: Leon Podles, "The Church Impotent: The Feminization of Christianity."

"[Podles] is talking about trends of feminization in style, culture and content that go back into the Middle Ages, in the churches of the West (think Europe and the Americas, in particular).  ... Podles kept returning to two themes. First, in the Christian West faith increasingly focused on emotions and feelings, as opposed to action, service and sacrifice. Then this approach soaked into worship and sacred art."
Mike Rothaar
Retired from roster of active ELCA pastors 01 Jul 2012.
Mind and Spirit still working.

Voelker

From the article:

The last thing they want are people who will fight back. The few men left on campus have to be dealt with in order to achieve this end. They expect the female population to be self-policing, with those who disagree either leaving or left silent.

Dan Fienen

Perhaps appropriate to this discussion is the observation made a number of years ago that among some feminists and social progressives the qualities of assertiveness even aggressiveness that are deplored when observed in men are encouraged for women.  Women are urged to be assertive, aggressive, take charge, be tough minded and independent.  Men are urged to get in touch with their feelings, be mindful of the feelings and thoughts of others, be cooperative rather than assertive, etc.  The very things that those of this strain of feminism and social progressiveness deplore when encouraged in women.

Now, that does not describe all feminist thinkers or activists, nor all social progressives.  But perhaps this "toxic masculinity" is another instantiation of that move.

Another aspect could also be those who define masculinity solely with aggression, toughness, rejection of feeling, etc.  Problems arise when either masculinity or femininity are stereotype in the extreme.  Masculine men can be nurturing and feminine women can be assertive and strong.  I enjoy TV shows that have strong women characters - for examples see the NCIS series, Blue Bloods to name a few current shows with strong female characters.  And I have also commented when watching a show with a male character going off the deep macho end about testosterone poisoning.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

gan ainm

Quote from: Dan Fienen on November 02, 2016, 11:05:49 AM
Perhaps appropriate to this discussion is the observation made a number of years ago that among some feminists and social progressives the qualities of assertiveness even aggressiveness that are deplored when observed in men are encouraged for women.  Women are urged to be assertive, aggressive, take charge, be tough minded and independent.  Men are urged to get in touch with their feelings, be mindful of the feelings and thoughts of others, be cooperative rather than assertive, etc.  The very things that those of this strain of feminism and social progressiveness deplore when encouraged in women.

Now, that does not describe all feminist thinkers or activists, nor all social progressives.  But perhaps this "toxic masculinity" is another instantiation of that move.

Another aspect could also be those who define masculinity solely with aggression, toughness, rejection of feeling, etc.  Problems arise when either masculinity or femininity are stereotype in the extreme.  Masculine men can be nurturing and feminine women can be assertive and strong.  I enjoy TV shows that have strong women characters - for examples see the NCIS series, Blue Bloods to name a few current shows with strong female characters.  And I have also commented when watching a show with a male character going off the deep macho end about testosterone poisoning.

Testosterone poisoning, German Shepherds, Rottweilers and Pit Bulls are out.  Arsenic laced sand for castles and lead based paints for watercolors are in, as are cats, for the neutered.  I like NCIS, Blue Bloods and the movies Top Gun, Platoon, and Apocalypse Now, oh, and big dogs and single malt whiskey straight - not a fan of Cosmopolitans or Pink Panthers.  8)   ;)

SomeoneWrites

Quote from: Dan Fienen on November 02, 2016, 11:05:49 AM

I think you're very close to accurate on this. 

It's not that assertiveness is deplored in men and that whole line.  It's balance.  Society, in the past has really pushed a number of things like assertiveness and nurturing along sex/gender lines. 
Think Law/Gospel, Faith/Works, or other such things.  The call is that society has pushed a form of masculinity that has toxic elements, which you've already commented on with testosterone poisoning.
My position, and the position of my feminist circles is that Toxic Masculinity is the same thing as testosterone poisoning.  It's not that Masculinity is toxic. 

LCMS raised
LCMS theology major
LCMS sem grad
Atheist

peter_speckhard

What do modern coming-of-age ceremonies (or lack thereof) do to boys?

Brian Stoffregen

Quote from: WJV on November 02, 2016, 10:51:54 AM
The last thing they want are people who will fight back.

So, they want the men to act like Jesus when he was arrested rather than like Peter. Is that wrong?
I flunked retirement. Serving as a part-time interim in Ferndale, WA.

Donald_Kirchner

Quote from: Brian Stoffregen on November 02, 2016, 11:58:48 AM

So, they want the men to act like Jesus when he was arrested rather than like Peter. Is that wrong?

Good grief... ::)
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it's not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

Brian Stoffregen

Quote from: Pr. Don Kirchner on November 02, 2016, 12:00:34 PM

Hmmm, I'm not clear. Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me? Are you trying to answer my question or avoiding it?

Dan Fienen

Jesus, when arrested was uncooperative.  While He did not put up a fight with the arresting troops and when quietly to His hearings, at the hearings He was not cooperative.  He either stood mute, or gave defiant answers.

We know less about how Peter behaved when he was arrested.  That did not happen until later as recounted in Acts.  There is no indication that Peter put up a fight either when arrested.  At his hearings he also was not very cooperative and unwilling to submit to the authority of the Jewish leaders.  Events surrounding later arrests are even sketchier.

In all, not a good analogy.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Donald_Kirchner

Quote from: Brian Stoffregen on November 02, 2016, 12:10:57 PM
Quote from: Pr. Don Kirchner on November 02, 2016, 12:00:34 PM

Hmmm, I'm not clear. Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me? Are you trying to answer my question or avoiding it?

I'm remarking on your ridiculous comparison of persons and situations, manifesting a gross confusion of the two kingdoms. Unfortunately, your sowing of confusion caused Dan to follow you down that path.

"My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, then My servants would be fighting, that I might not be delivered up to the Jews; but as it is, My kingdom is not of this realm."
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it's not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

Brian Stoffregen

Quote from: Dan Fienen on November 02, 2016, 12:12:31 PM

Jesus, when arrested was uncooperative.  While He did not put up a fight with the arresting troops and when quietly to His hearings, at the hearings He was not cooperative.  He either stood mute, or gave defiant answers.

We know that he did not call down legions of angels to fight for him.

QuoteWe know less about how Peter behaved when he was arrested. 

He cut off an ear with his sword when Jesus was arrested.

Dave Likeness

Speaking from personal experience, I had a great Christian father who taught me the meaning of manhood
by his example.   Nobody was ever able to take that away from me.  Playing sports was a great avenue to
learn about team chemistry, good sportsmanship, humility in winning and respect for others 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk