Least favorite hymns in the hymnal...

Started by LutherMan, September 24, 2015, 01:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDPreus

Let's see if I remember . . .

The visitor heard the pastor consecrate the elements and he whispered to the parishioner standing next to him, "Is that the body and blood of Christ?"  He replied, "Not yet."  Then the parishioner went up and communed and returned and sat down next to the visitor who asked him, "Is that the body and blood of Christ?"  He replied, "Not any more."

LutherMan

Quote from: Fletch on September 24, 2015, 04:45:51 PM
Quote from: LutherMan on September 24, 2015, 03:09:05 PM
No real theology in them...

Thanks, I guessed that was the answer and thanks for responding to confirm.  On a side note, I guess you don't like good old Methodist Revivalism either?  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

... Fletch
;D

Jeremy Loesch

I will say that Earth and All Stars has been totally redeemed by the Easter hymn Alleluia! Jesus is Risen. 

For personal reasons I'm not a huge fan of Rejoice O Pilgrim Throng.  I don't know why. It just doesn't do much for me.  It still gets used a fair bit because I know there are people who do like it.

Jeremy 
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

Matt Hummel

Quote from: Pr. Don Kirchner on September 24, 2015, 04:22:35 PM
Quote from: Brian Stoffregen on September 24, 2015, 04:19:33 PM
Quote from: Pr. Don Kirchner on September 24, 2015, 03:54:29 PM
Quote from: peterm on September 24, 2015, 03:37:50 PM
If you had included "In the Garden" you would hit the most popular funeral hymns around :)

That's the one out of the four that will not be sung at any funeral over which I preside. And when I explain why I never get any flack.

Do you object to this versified version of John 20 when Mary went to the garden alone and Jesus talked and walked with her?

I deny your premise.

It turns out that in the Garden IS about Mary Magdalene encountering the Risen Christ on the first Easter. The author was a Philly pharmacist. NPR did something on this a few years ago. Gave me  new appreciation for it.
Matt Hummel

"The chief purpose of life, for any of us, is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks."

― J.R.R. Tolkien

LutherMan

Quote from: RDPreus on September 24, 2015, 05:22:38 PM
Why did the Norwegian Lutheran think that God's name was Andy?

"Andy walks with me, Andy talks with me, . . ."
Dumb Norski...
;)

Matt Hummel

Also, given the story behind Precious Lord, what's the beef?
Matt Hummel

"The chief purpose of life, for any of us, is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks."

― J.R.R. Tolkien

LutherMan

Quote from: Jeremy Loesch on September 24, 2015, 05:40:15 PM
I will say that Earth and All Stars has been totally redeemed by the Easter hymn Alleluia! Jesus is Risen. 

For personal reasons I'm not a huge fan of Rejoice O Pilgrim Throng.  I don't know why. It just doesn't do much for me.  It still gets used a fair bit because I know there are people who do like it.

Jeremy
I'm not familiar with that one.  Was it in TLH?

LutherMan

Quote from: Prolife Professional on September 24, 2015, 05:49:45 PM
Also, given the story behind Precious Lord, what's the beef?
A muslim or Jew could easily sing it...
Zero Christology in it...

James S. Rustad

My mother planned her own funeral about a year before she died.  She died unexpectedly three months after open heart surgery for aortic valve replacement.  Cause of death seemed unrelated to the surgery.

Recession began with the funeral home team turning the casket and getting ready to leave.  Mom's final song began -- "Will the Circle Be Unbroken?".  No one moved to leave and the entire congregation joined in on the chorus after each verse.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." -Thomas Jefferson

Matt Hummel

What I find so much fun about some of you LCMS folks is that it is a matter of mere contingency that kept you from being Latin Mass Catholics. I see the same righteous certitude, just played out in a different key. :) Kinda sweet, actually.
Matt Hummel

― J.R.R. Tolkien

LutherMan

Quote from: Prolife Professional on September 24, 2015, 06:00:04 PM
What I find so much fun about some of you LCMS folks is that it is a matter of mere contingency that kept you from being Latin Mass Catholics. I see the same righteous certitude, just played out in a different key. :) Kinda sweet, actually.
Glad we can accommodate you.   I have always liked you, even when you were an ELCA pastor... 8)

Donald_Kirchner

Quote from: Prolife Professional on September 24, 2015, 05:46:48 PM
Quote from: Pr. Don Kirchner on September 24, 2015, 04:22:35 PM
Quote from: Brian Stoffregen on September 24, 2015, 04:19:33 PM
Quote from: Pr. Don Kirchner on September 24, 2015, 03:54:29 PM
Quote from: peterm on September 24, 2015, 03:37:50 PM
If you had included "In the Garden" you would hit the most popular funeral hymns around :)

That's the one out of the four that will not be sung at any funeral over which I preside. And when I explain why I never get any flack.

Do you object to this versified version of John 20 when Mary went to the garden alone and Jesus talked and walked with her?

I deny your premise.

It turns out that in the Garden IS about Mary Magdalene encountering the Risen Christ on the first Easter. The author was a Philly pharmacist. NPR did something on this a few years ago. Gave me  new appreciation for it.

No, it is not. It's about Miles' vision/dream.
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it's not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

LutherMan

What a friend, Onward Christian soldiers and Stand Up, Stand Up, are more dogs...

LutherMan

In the garden has never been in a Lutheran hymnal, has it?

Donald_Kirchner

Quote from: LutherMan on September 24, 2015, 06:26:48 PM
In the garden has never been in a Lutheran hymnal, has it?

None of ours. It's a Baptist communion hymn.
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it's not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk