How about something a little different for a change...

Started by RogerMartim, February 25, 2015, 09:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RogerMartim

...from all the heavy-handed subjects.

What is your favorite musical mass or any other music which employs a religious text?

Mine is Mozart's C-minor Mass, K. 427, but in particular the soprano solo of Christe eleison. It's hard to beat Verdi's Requiem too.

Mike in Pennsylvania

Bach's St. Matthew Passion, particularly the opening passage.
NALC Interim Pastor

GalRevRedux

A pastor of the North American Lutheran Church.

Norman Teigen

William Byrd wrote several Masses.  Great music.  Here is something to enjoy:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZSB0WTyIrg
Norman Teigen

Richard Johnson

The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Dan Fienen

For sheer poignancy it is hard to beat the closing chorale of the St. John Passion, J. S. Bach.  For exuberant joy, the closing Gloria Patri from his Magnificat in D.  For sublime lyricism with a more modern touch, Samuel Barber's "Agnus Dei."
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

J. Thomas Shelley

Greek Orthodox Deacon - Ecumenical Patriarchate
Ordained to the Holy Diaconate Mary of Egypt Sunday A.D. 2022

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Donald_Kirchner

Mozart Mass in C minor, Kyrie

St Matthew Passion, Finale

Praetorius, Mass for Christmas Morning
http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=wb9lIMxq2yE
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it's not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

pearson

Quote from: RogerMartim on February 25, 2015, 09:18:51 PM

What is your favorite musical mass or any other music which employs a religious text?

Mine is Mozart's C-minor Mass, K. 427, but in particular the soprano solo of Christe eleison. It's hard to beat Verdi's Requiem too.

I like Mozart's K. 427 as well, but the Requiem trumps it for me.  Actually, I like a lot of Requiems -- Berlioz, Faure, Brahms, Verdi.  Palestrina's masses and Monteverdi's Vespers, Bach's and Bruckner's motets.  I'm also very fond of Randall Thompson's sacred choral works, particularly his Twelve Canticles.  Really good stuff.

Since he also sings in a men's chorus, I'd be very interested in hearing Pr. Austin's favorites in this category.

Thanks for this, RogerMartim.

Tom Pearson

J.L. Precup

Manuel de Zumaya Mass in D Major.  (A mass written in Mexico.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdvKlvVLVSw

Because there are two works on this recording, the mass does not begin until about 21:00...it certainly doesn't hurt that this polychoral is performed by Chanticleer.

Richard Johnson

The chorus in which I sing is doing the Mozart Requiem this summer, soon as we get through the Vivaldi Gloria. Another requiem favorite is Durufle. I can never decide whether I prefer that one or Faure. Fortunately, one doesn't really have to decide, unless one is picking a CD to play. ;)
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

LutherMan

Little late in the game here, but can y'all please provide YouTube links if/when available for your choices?  Even if it isn't your own choir performing?  Thanks in advance...

John_Hannah

Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

Steven W Bohler

Eileen Smith

William Byrd - Mass for 4 Voices
Bach - Mass in B Minor

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk