News:

Main Menu

Noah the movie

Started by carlvehse, February 12, 2014, 04:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlvehse

Quote from: racin_jason on February 25, 2014, 02:38:32 PM
That parting claim makes us wonder what racy scene is holding back the rating.

According to an interview with Paramount Film Group President Adam Goodman, the Noah movie has a MPAA rating of  PG-13.  This is most likely because of scenes of violence (deadly fights and people drowning) rather than scenes of actresses Jennifer Connelly and Emma Watson in rain-soaked blouses.   

Sorry about that.   :'(

Michael Slusser

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/vatican-newspaper-blasts-noah-calling-695027
In the church's first official word on the popular but controversial Darren Aronofsky film, Avvenire called Noah "a lost opportunity, Noah without God." It went on to say the film colored the story "ecologically, and vaguely new age, transforming the Biblical tale into a missed chance."

Avvenire is not a Vatican newspaper, but it is owned by the Italian bishops, who have influence on its editorial positions (which may be shocking to some sensitive American ears, accustomed to Rupert Murdoch's scrupulous avoidance of interference in his many media properties). Anyway, panned by Avvenire is equivalent to being panned by the RCC in Italy.

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

wildiris

As a lay person I'm not qualified to judge this review, but it has struck me as the most intriguing take on the content of this movie I've come across.   I'm putting it out to this forum in the hope of getting some feedback on its theological validity.

http://drbrianmattson.com/journal/2014/3/31/sympathy-for-the-devil

But it does ring true to me, since Darren Aronofsky's movie "Pi" was about the hidden Kabbalah-istic messages contained in the sequence of the digits of the number pi.

Dave Benke

Quote from: wildiris on April 11, 2014, 04:40:11 PM
As a lay person I'm not qualified to judge this review, but it has struck me as the most intriguing take on the content of this movie I've come across.   I'm putting it out to this forum in the hope of getting some feedback on its theological validity.

http://drbrianmattson.com/journal/2014/3/31/sympathy-for-the-devil

But it does ring true to me, since Darren Aronofsky's movie "Pi" was about the hidden Kabbalah-istic messages contained in the sequence of the digits of the number pi.

Thanks for the link.  I think it's an interesting and most probably on-target assessment of the movie and Aronofsky's intentions.  And anyone who commends Irenaeus of Lyons for mandatory reading has his ducks in a row.  I also like what Brian Mattson is doing with Christian public theology from the further links.  Creative and engaging.

Dave Benke
It's OK to Pray

mariemeyer

Bill and I saw Noah last night. The Mattson review is spot on. 

Sadly, there were families in attendance who probably anticipated seeing a film about the Biblical Noah.

Marie Meyer

Christopher Miller

As a counterpoint to Mattson, who has plenty of counterpointers out there, I'll throw in my wife's review.

10 Reasons This Christian Loves Aronofsky's Noah
http://rebeccaflorencemiller.wordpress.com/2014/03/29/christian-loves-aronofskys-noah/

YMMV

carlvehse

In her review, "Noah – The Emperor's New Movie," Barbara Nicolosi starts out:   
QuoteLet me just start by saying two words which you can accept as fair warning to avoid this stupidest movie in years: Rock People.

Need more?

Tragically, as Western Civilization continues to decay all around us, one thing remains unmuddled: everything is politics. And nowhere is that more true than in media. The same polarization that fired Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty and then got him rehired, and made Mel Gibson $600 million, and then lost him his Hollywood career, and made half the world want to canonize Roman Polanski with the other half wanting him castrated — these are the same social causes propelling the embarrassingly awful horribleness of Darren Aronofsky's Noah, into an 76% fresh rating from the shameless, agenda-driven critics at RottenTomatoes.com, and setting so many Christian leaders and critics into shilling for the same. Please, stop the madness. It is astounding to me how Christians can be lured into a defense of the indefensible because they are so afraid of the charge of "unreasonableness." Trying so hard to be nice, we end up being patsies for people who have no other agenda than to make money off of us.

Oh yeah. And ROCK PEOPLE.

Later, following her discussion of a list of "stupid story problems," Nicolosi continues: 
QuoteOh yeah, and there is a ton of annoying, superior liberal preaching about how we should all be vegetarians, and that technology and cities are innately bad because they hurt the planet. Dumb, oversimplified liberal utopia nonsense.

Near the end of her review, Nicolosi notes: "Galaxy Quest called. They want their rock people back."

BTW, here's a clip about the Galaxy Quest rock people that's more entertaining.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk