The alleged Norwegian attacker

Started by Michael Slusser, July 23, 2011, 07:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Slusser

Some early word from Der Spiegel Online:
http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/0,1518,776091,00.html

"The suspect in the twin attacks in Norway has been identified as Anders Behring B., a 32-year-old Christian fundamentalist with anti-Islamic views. A police officer who described B. as "cold as ice" said the suspect had no known links to Norway's neo-Nazi scene."

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

Michael Slusser

According to the German daily Die Welt, he left a manifesto in English, "2083 - A European Declaration of Independence." That will no doubt soon be available. He used the pseudonym "Knight Templar."

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser

PTMcCain

Sick man, wonder if anyone noticed his deranged tendencies, but dd nothing about him.

Michael Slusser

In the last couple of hours, links claiming to go to the Breivik "Declaration" have started to appear. One thing they have in common is the date "2083" rather than 2028.

It is apparently much longer than our Declaration of Independence (1500 pages, according to Fox http://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/2011/07/23/norway-terror-suspect-released-youtube-video-norway-tv2/ ), so you may want to let someone else read it.

The feel I get personally from what I've seen is that this incident and its perpetrator belong in the Unabomber and Timothy McVeigh category of mass killers/terrorists.

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser

TravisW

We have to bear in mind that "Christian fundamentalist" holds a different meaning in this case than in the sense that we're used to it.  From what I've read of what he has written, he had the idea of trying to use the Church of Norway in the same way that he insisted that Marxists have used it since the end of WWII. 

I've read a bunch of the stuff that he wrote over the past two days.  The frightening thing is that it's not nonsensical ranting (like the VA Tech killer), but how thoroughly rationalized every point that he makes is. 

Donald_Kirchner

The "alleged" Norwegian attacker?

Rather, the caught-in-the-act, confessed killer.
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it's not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

Daniel L. Gard

Anders Behring Breivik is the Norwegian homegrown terrorist who has admitted the bombing and shooting that has left 90 people dead. This is Oklahoma City revisited.

According to ABC News, the maximum sentence is 21 years. Of course, all he gets to eat is Lutefisk.

Evangel

Quote from: Daniel L. Gard on July 24, 2011, 02:30:25 PM
Anders Behring Breivik is the Norwegian homegrown terrorist who has admitted the bombing and shooting that has left 90 people dead. This is Oklahoma City revisited.

According to ABC News, the maximum sentence is 21 years. Of course, all he gets to eat is Lutefisk.

One can hope that is the maximum sentence per count (of which there should be about 90) and he'll get to serve them sequentially.
Mark Schimmel, Pastor
Zion Lutheran Church, LCMC
Priddy, TX
--
ACXXIII, "Your majesty will graciously take into account the fact that, in these last times of which the Scriptures prophesy, the world is growing worse and men are becoming weaker and more infirm."

Charles_Austin

With more than 100 dead and wounded and a nation in shock, I hardly think it's the time for jokes about food.

PTMcCain

I've already heard take in Norway of making an exception for him from their "no death penalty" laws.

Maximum sentence of 21 years?  That's nuts.

Daniel L. Gard

Quote from: Evangel on July 24, 2011, 02:38:20 PM
Quote from: Daniel L. Gard on July 24, 2011, 02:30:25 PM

One can hope that is the maximum sentence per count (of which there should be about 90) and he'll get to serve them sequentially.

They are reporting that 21 years is the entire potential sentence.

PTMcCain

Of course, the other aspect of the tragedy is that it took the police 90 minutes to arrive on the island after the first report of the shootings.

Daniel L. Gard

Quote from: Charles_Austin on July 24, 2011, 02:39:01 PM
With more than 100 dead and wounded and a nation in shock, I hardly think it's the time for jokes about food.

You are right. There is nothing funny about Lutefisk.

Daniel L. Gard

Quote from: PTMcCain on July 24, 2011, 02:40:54 PM
Of course, the other aspect of the tragedy is that it took the police 90 minutes to arrive on the island after the first report of the shootings.

American law enforcement remains the best in the world - well, maybe second to the Israelis. We are spoiled by the quality of our first responders.

PTMcCain

Yup, this is true. It is a shame nobody on the island had ready access to weapons to stop him before he killed *so* many people. This has and will continue to be a huge shock to the Norwegians, who, according to many reports had lulled themselves into a false sense of security saying that "This can't happen in Norway."

Such a tragedy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk