A frivolous thread: Home Brewing

Started by PTMcCain, July 19, 2011, 09:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donald_Kirchner

Some 5 liter "Bubba" kegs come with a spout and pour from the bottom via gravity. I use a pressurized tap which obviously would make a difference in longevity.
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it's not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

JoeEckman

QuoteIs this a problem also with torpedo kegs or the soft drink kegs previously mentioned?

Reason I ask is a chief benefit of kegging to me is convenience, and drinking a ton of beer every time I brew is inconvenient.

Torpedo kegs and soft drink kegs can be charged with carbon dioxide to keep the beer from going flat.  So they do not have the same problem.   

I have heard there might be a device that would allow you to charge the 5 liter kegs with CO2, which would make them more convenient. Still, I maintain, the best part of homebrewing is in the sharing of the brew.

Dan Fienen

You can check online for brewing supplies and especially the catalogues of online brew supply companies.  5 gallon kegs, like those that used to be used for soda syrup certainly have fittings for use with CO2.  I am not as familiar with the 5 liter mini kegs.

Dan
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

George Erdner

The thing is, to purists like me, any artificial charging of the beer with CO2 results in "factory" beer. The carbonation in homebrew, to us purists, comes only from secondary fermentation in the bottle or keg, even if that means a little bit of yeast sediment at the bottom of every bottle.

PTMcCain

My son just posted this on Facebook. I don't understand half of it, maybe some of you brewers will.

This was a simple extract kit from NorthernBrewer, fermented for 3 weeks and keg conditioned for 2 before force carbing for a week at 12 psi in a keezer. I'm still waiting a week to start drinking it. Also conditioning right now are a cream ale and hefeweizen, with stout and dunkelweizen up next. I have capacity for 3 cornys.

George Erdner

Quote from: PTMcCain on July 20, 2011, 03:13:13 PM
My son just posted this on Facebook. I don't understand half of it, maybe some of you brewers will.

This was a simple extract kit from NorthernBrewer, fermented for 3 weeks and keg conditioned for 2 before force carbing for a week at 12 psi in a keezer. I'm still waiting a week to start drinking it. Also conditioning right now are a cream ale and hefeweizen, with stout and dunkelweizen up next. I have capacity for 3 cornys.

Fermenting is when the yeast is actively turning sugars into alcohol. Conditioning is aging after the yeast particles are filtered and/or racked out. Force carbing is artificially adding CO2 instead of using live draft.

Hefeweizen is a wheat beer, with malted wheat substituted for some of the malted barley, and is traditionally unfiltered. That makes it a little cloudy, but it still tastes good. Stout is a very dark drew. Dunkelweizen is a darker wheat beer.

TravisW

This thread + hot weather is making me frighteningly thirsty.

Evangel

Quote from: TravisW on July 20, 2011, 04:39:38 PM

101°F + picking up the Kubota from the repair shop + fridge full of Yuengling + Church Council meeting in 1 1/2 hours + this thread = frustration   ;)
Mark Schimmel, Pastor
Zion Lutheran Church, LCMC
Priddy, TX
--
ACXXIII, "Your majesty will graciously take into account the fact that, in these last times of which the Scriptures prophesy, the world is growing worse and men are becoming weaker and more infirm."

SCPO

Quote from: TravisW on July 20, 2011, 04:39:38 PM

Peterm's oatmeal stout is probably not a good choice for hot weather.  An ice-cold cream ale or hefeweisen would probably hit the spot.

ptom

Withee in North Central Wisconsin temp today  93 degrees.  Heat Index of 108.  Got Imperial Hefenweisen, Father's Day Cream Ale, Apple Pie Hard Cider and Dutch Apple Ale in the fridge.  Brewers on the TV.  Waht a way to end the day.

Tom Myhre
Life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party.

PTMcCain

Got home from the Muny Opera: "Singing in the Rain" really great.

Son Paul let me try some of "not quite ready" wheat beer. Fantastic.

Voelker

PTMcCain

What will those Russians think of next?

SmithL

I don't have the patience to brew my own, but my neighbor does.  And every time he goes to Tahoe, I get a couple of bottles of his most recent brew in exchange for picking up his mail and paper.
;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk