News:

Main Menu

Prayer Requests

Started by J. Eriksson, November 30, 2010, 10:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norman Teigen

A beloved professor of mine at Bethany Lutheran College in Mankato MN, Rudolph Honsey, died this week at 98.  Honsey taught languages and the humanities at Bethany and from him I learned a life long appreciation of the music of Johan Sebastian Bach.  Blessed be his memory.
Norman Teigen

Steven W Bohler

Quote from: Norman Teigen on May 13, 2017, 02:35:44 PM
A beloved professor of mine at Bethany Lutheran College in Mankato MN, Rudolph Honsey, died this week at 98.  Honsey taught languages and the humanities at Bethany and from him I learned a life long appreciation of the music of Johan Sebastian Bach.  Blessed be his memory.

My wife (who is 46 and attended Bethany Lutheran College 1989-1991, I think) also spoke highly of this professor.  How many students (and their students!) this man must have influenced!

Donald_Kirchner

Quote from: Norman Teigen on May 13, 2017, 02:35:44 PM
A beloved professor of mine at Bethany Lutheran College in Mankato MN, Rudolph Honsey, died this week at 98.  Honsey taught languages and the humanities at Bethany and from him I learned a life long appreciation of the music of Johan (sic) Sebastian Bach.  Blessed be his memory.

I wish I could have studied under him.
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it's not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

Voelker

Please keep the family (and parish served) of Rev. Martin Schultz in your prayers. He died this evening while serving in a mid-week (I believe) Ascension service at a parish nearby to his. He has been a faithful and well-loved pastor of St. Paul Lutheran Church in Wood River, Illinois for many years. Christ is Risen!

peter_speckhard

Quote from: WJV on May 24, 2017, 11:27:31 PM
Please keep the family (and parish served) of Rev. Martin Schultz in your prayers. He died this evening while serving in a mid-week (I believe) Ascension service at a parish nearby to his. He has been a faithful and well-loved pastor of St. Paul Lutheran Church in Wood River, Illinois for many years. Christ is Risen!
He died in the middle of the service? Tragic, but on the other hand, given the alternatives, what a way to go. He is risen indeed!

Voelker

Quote from: peter_speckhard on May 24, 2017, 11:31:19 PM
Quote from: WJV on May 24, 2017, 11:27:31 PM
He died in the middle of the service? Tragic, but on the other hand, given the alternatives, what a way to go. He is risen indeed!
Perhaps then; or on the way to the hospital. In the fog of events like these, things aren't always clear. I got the info from a relative who was there or who at least was in the ambulance.

Eileen Smith

Prayers for Pastor Greg Fryer who was injured in a fall at his church (Immanuel NYC).  He suffered two broken wrists and a broken elbow. 

Dave Benke

Quote from: Eileen Smith on May 28, 2017, 08:21:18 AM
Prayers for Pastor Greg Fryer who was injured in a fall at his church (Immanuel NYC).  He suffered two broken wrists and a broken elbow.

So sorry to hear this, Eileen - will lift him and Carol up in prayer this morning.

Dave Benke
It's OK to Pray

John_Hannah

I took his place at Immanuel yesterday.  It is a truly great congregation; members are very caring and most concerned about their beloved pastor, Greg Fryer.  I got an email thanks from him; voice activated.  Fortunately there were no injuries to his head or back.

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

Eileen Smith

Quote from: John_Hannah on May 29, 2017, 07:31:57 AM
I took his place at Immanuel yesterday.  It is a truly great congregation; members are very caring and most concerned about their beloved pastor, Greg Fryer.  I got an email thanks from him; voice activated.  Fortunately there were no injuries to his head or back.

Peace, JOHN

He is a beloved pastor, not only to those at Immanuel.  Carol wrote that he's had surgery on both wrists and is awaiting surgery on his elbow. 

Weedon

WJV,

Martin was preaching when the heart-attack took him. His funeral is tomorrow morning. Vice President Mueller will be the preacher. But, yes, please keep his wife, Ruth, his mother, Mary, his children, grandchildren, and all his family, not to mention his beloved congregation, in your prayers. "Death, you cannot end my gladness; I am baptized into Christ."

Voelker

Quote from: Weedon on May 29, 2017, 08:06:31 PM
WJV,

Martin was preaching when the heart-attack took him. His funeral is tomorrow morning. Vice President Mueller will be the preacher. But, yes, please keep his wife, Ruth, his mother, Mary, his children, grandchildren, and all his family, not to mention his beloved congregation, in your prayers. "Death, you cannot end my gladness; I am baptized into Christ."
Will —

Thank you for your blog writeup on the funeral. I was there, but in the crush didn't have time to seek you out, though I saw you in the narthex. The visitation yesterday was an amazing outpouring of affection for him, his family, and his parish (it ran from before noon until after six; I'm amazed the family was standing this morning). VP Mueller's sermon was to the point, and did a great job of preaching the resurrection while also speaking to Martin's having done so. A sad day? Certainly. But a fine day, too, with hope and joy in Christ. SDG.

Weedon

Bill,

Sorry to have missed you! We headed out right after the benediction. Yes, VP Mueller gave the goods and the music simply preached the joy that was Martin's life. Once again I'll say it: we have an obligation to teach our folks hymns like "Lord, Thee I Love." Songs to live and to die by. And how strongly it was sung!

Weedon

John, as our Orthodox brethren are wont to say: May her memory be eternal! To be a people who await that joyous day of resurrection and therefore reunion is to be blessed indeed in the midst of the greatest sorrow earth knows. Pax!

James_Gale

Quote from: John_Hannah on May 31, 2017, 08:40:55 AM
Indeed!  At Lorna's (Roman Catholic) funeral concelebrated by seven priests and a deacon, we sang "Lord thee I love" as the Hymn of the Day, just as Lorna had instructed.   There were twenty Luther pastors (with wives) in the congregation plus another fifty Lutheran lay people.  Several parishioners of Holy Family remarked about how strong the singing had been throughout.  Naturally (for Catholics) we stopped after the second stanza of "Lord, thee I love".   :( 

One of eulogists lamented that we had done that, "I don't understand why other Christians do not appreciate this wonderful Lutheran testimony to the resurrection."  So at the procession out, at the conclusion of the final hymn, I asserted myself and asked that we sing the third stanza.  The organist reacted promptly and we sang with great gusto!  The parish administrator remarked to me that she had even seen one pastor singing without having to look at the words.   ;D

Today is Lorna's birthday.  She would be 77. 

Peace, JOHN

I will hold you, Lorna, and all who loved her in my prayers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk