News:

Main Menu

Prayer Requests

Started by J. Eriksson, November 30, 2010, 10:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Johnson

So the best response to my post would be just to drop the subject, rather than explain why certain people (but certainly not I!!!) were responsible for the turn the conversation took; or to graciously apologize, as Marie did.

I can remember lots of times in my life and ministry when people asked for prayers about inappropriate things, or in inappropriate ways. I always thought the best pastoral response was to assure them of my prayers rather than criticize them for what or how they asked. The Lord can sort that all out.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Matt Hummel

Quote from: Richard Johnson on December 27, 2016, 08:39:33 PM
Do you all really think it's necessary to turn a forum dedicated to "prayer requests" into a political sniping session? Have you no shame?

Thank you Richard
Matt Hummel

"The chief purpose of life, for any of us, is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks."

― J.R.R. Tolkien

Keith Falk

Please pray for my mother.  She has been dealing with illness of varying degrees the past few months and had to cancel the third attempt to visit in that time period.  We (me, my kids, and my parents) are all very disappointed... and the adults are concerned that doctors still haven't quite figured out what is going on.  Prayers for my father, also, who is carrying the load of caregiving.
Rev. Keith Falk, STS

Donald_Kirchner

Quote from: Richard Johnson on December 28, 2016, 08:49:22 AM
I can remember lots of times in my life and ministry when people asked for prayers about inappropriate things, or in inappropriate ways. I always thought the best pastoral response was to assure them of my prayers rather than criticize them for what or how they asked. The Lord can sort that all out.

As pointed out in my previous post there was no prayer request. Rather, celebratory eulogies coupled with bad theology, as explicated by the Gibbs article. Isn't that a main purpose of this board? A discussion of theology?
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it's not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

James_Gale

Quote from: Keith Falk on December 28, 2016, 08:57:30 AM
Please pray for my mother.  She has been dealing with illness of varying degrees the past few months and had to cancel the third attempt to visit in that time period.  We (me, my kids, and my parents) are all very disappointed... and the adults are concerned that doctors still haven't quite figured out what is going on.  Prayers for my father, also, who is carrying the load of caregiving.

Keith --

Your mother and entire family are in my prayers.

Jim

Charles Austin

You will, no doubt, Pastor Kirchner, get the last word. But the original "complaint" was that someone mentioned the fact that certain people had supported your synod president during his term of office,  an action curiously termed "political." I just don't understand some of the people here.
Iowa-born. Long-time in NY/New Jersey, former LWF staff in Geneva.
ELCA PASTOR, ordained 1967. Former journalist. Retired in Minneapolis.
GUILTY on ALL 34 counts

Richard Johnson

Quote from: Pr. Don Kirchner on December 28, 2016, 09:49:24 AM
Quote from: Richard Johnson on December 28, 2016, 08:49:22 AM

As pointed out in my previous post there was no prayer request. Rather, celebratory eulogies coupled with bad theology, as explicated by the Gibbs article. Isn't that a main purpose of this board? A discussion of theology?

As pointed out in my previous post, "So the best response to my post would be just to drop the subject, rather than explain why certain people (but certainly not I!!!) were responsible for the turn the conversation took; or to graciously apologize, as Marie did."

But, Pastor Kirchner, I know you need to have the last word, so go ahead, and I'll just be silent.

Richard Johnson

Quote from: Keith Falk on December 28, 2016, 08:57:30 AM

Prayers ascending, Keith.

Donald_Kirchner

Quote from: Richard Johnson on December 28, 2016, 10:39:55 AM
But, Pastor Kirchner, I know you need to have the last word, so go ahead, and I'll just be silent.

Thanks. How about something not requested?

Lord God, heavenly Father, receive our humble thanks for all Your mercies granted to our sisters, Jean and Betty, during their earthly lives, especially for calling them by the Gospel and sustaining them in the true faith until their departure. Comfort those who mourn their deaths with the hope of the glorious resurrection and a happy reunion in heaven. Help us to remember that we are mortal, that we may ever prepare ourselves to fall asleep in faith and finally receive the glory promised to all who trust in Your beloved Son, Jesus Christ, our Lord.  Amen.
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it's not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

Steven W Bohler

Why do so many folks post that they will let the other have the last word, when clearly they won't?  To say you will let the other have the last word IS to have the last word, a final parting shot, a passive-aggressive attempt to sound like the "bigger person" (which makes the other person look small and petty and, by extension, also his argument).

Charles Austin

Wrong again, Pastor Bohler. I just did.
Iowa-born. Long-time in NY/New Jersey, former LWF staff in Geneva.
ELCA PASTOR, ordained 1967. Former journalist. Retired in Minneapolis.
GUILTY on ALL 34 counts

Richard Johnson

Would appreciate your prayers. My wife Lois tripped coming downstairs yesterday and broke her ankle. The house where we're staying in Rochester is not very crutch-friendly, and my wife is not very "stay in a chair with your foot elevated" friendly, either. Prayers for healing, for patience, and for safe navigating our remaining days in Rochester and the long trip home on Thursday. (This came after she was in an auto accident two days earlier and was already suffering from mild whiplash; my son and his family were also in the car, but no one was injured, thank God.)

readselerttoo

Quote from: Richard Johnson on December 31, 2016, 01:19:41 PM
Would appreciate your prayers. My wife Lois tripped coming downstairs yesterday and broke her ankle. The house where we're staying in Rochester is not very crutch-friendly, and my wife is not very "stay in a chair with your foot elevated" friendly, either. Prayers for healing, for patience, and for safe navigating our remaining days in Rochester and the long trip home on Thursday. (This came after she was in an auto accident two days earlier and was already suffering from mild whiplash; my son and his family were also in the car, but no one was injured, thank God.)

Prayers for your wife and family are ascending from this part of Texas.  May Jesus protect you on your journey home!

gan ainm

My prayers are with you and your wife Lois and family.  May God grant you peace and comfort while the healing process progresses.

James_Gale

Prayers for Lois and the whole family!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk