NE Iowa Support for CWA2009

Started by G.Edward, February 25, 2010, 05:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bergs

Quote from: Richard Johnson on March 02, 2010, 10:54:28 AM
Well, we know you have tornados in August . . .

But hopefully our merciful Lord will not find anything so aggregious happening at the WordAlone conference or under the Bergs' roof that would require a major league smite like that.  Then again with Erik home and now two of my nephews have also moved in... ::)
But let me tell Thee that now, today, people are more persuaded than ever that they have perfect freedom, yet they have brought their freedom to us and laid it humbly at our feet. But that has been our doing.
The Grand Inquisitor

James_Gale

Quote from: Lutheranistic on March 02, 2010, 11:07:40 AM
Of course, we had this in late March a few years back:

http://www.sigmamaps.com/StPeter/stpindex.htm

But then again, all tornadoes aren't meteorological. As I recall the event, the Berg's were amazing hosts and nothing was swirling about. At least not while I was there.

I hate even to think about that one.  The tornado did enormous damage to the Gustavus Adolphus College campus, taking out nearly all of our magnificent trees.  Our steeple crumpled.  Christ Chapel.  We lost a dorm and a couple other small buildings.

There were two very good mitigating factors for the College.  First, the tornado hit during spring break, so very few people were on campus.  Otherwise, well, I hate to think about it.

Second, we had very good insurance.  It didn't cover the replacement cost of the trees.  But it did let us rebuild with new windows, computers, etc.

Lutheranistic

To say nothing of our home on Minnesota Avenue, which we had moved from the previous year. But Saint Peter and Gustavus survived the storm....as do we all, however altered.

James_Gale

Quote from: Lutheranistic on March 02, 2010, 02:39:16 PM
To say nothing of our home on Minnesota Avenue, which we had moved from the previous year. But Saint Peter and Gustavus survived the storm....as do we all, however altered.

Indeed.

And even the most violent tornado is easier to overcome in some respects than some other kinds of storms.  The tornado ultimately was a unifying event for the college, unlike, for example, the waves of turmoil that have afflicted the church.

Do you still live in or near St. Peter?

PastorChick

Just saw this.  I am in Iowa and the only reason I did not sign this letter is that I knew nothing about it until it was a done deal.  Had nothing to do with putting bread on the table.  My congregation knows how I feel, and they at least have learned to respect people in their congregation who have differing opinions, even their pastor.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk