The Collar - When, Where, Why?

Started by Keith Falk, November 13, 2008, 02:52:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should a pastor wear a clerical collar (whatever style) when his/her driver's license picture is taken?

Yes
15 (32.6%)
No
7 (15.2%)
Don't care/Don't know
24 (52.2%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Dave Benke

I was taught that when at the Barbeque Grill with a Corona, the Hawaiian Shirt must be worn with the Shorts or Jogging Pants in order for Evening Prayer to be spoken over the Meat.  I was taught this by Kenny Rogers, Kenny G, and Kenny, the Guy Next Door.

Dave Benke
It's OK to Pray

Matt Staneck

Dr. Benke,

Corona?  Come on, you're better than that.

M. Staneck
Matt Staneck, Pastor
St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church
Queens, NY

pr dtp

Quote from: ValpoStaneck on November 17, 2008, 01:08:14 PM
Dr. Benke,

Corona?  Come on, you're better than that.

M. Staneck

Mr. Staneck,

You uncovered the real reason for Dr. Benke to be brought up on charges.

Of course, it could have been worse, he could have said Foster's, Pabst, Falstaff, Narragansett or Coor's Lite.

(at my installation, I had two short sermons, one more address to me, one to the congregation.  it was asked how I would manage to keep my two brothers short.  I said I have two beverages in my office.  One of which is a very popular beer among pastors here in california - the other is a O'Doul's.  Whoever preaches the longest has to drink the O'Doul's.  It worked, One pastor installed, two deacons commissioned, and two sermons, all in less than 60 miunutes!! )

PrSabin

Quote from: Richard Johnson on November 16, 2008, 10:14:48 PM
Quote from: The Rev. Steven P. Sabin on November 16, 2008, 12:29:42 PM
On the matter of cassock and suplice...

Yep, wear that too for non-eucharistic liturgies, and would prefer doing so when I'm vested and not one of the ministers of the liturgy at a eucharist. However, these days that makes you really stand out in an ELCA crowd, where pastors seem to think there is only one, muliti-purpose vestment.

So? It's because they don't know any better. How will they learn if they don't have good models?

Very Reverend and Esteemed Moderator:

Perhaps in a "hands across the aisle" gesture, you and I (others are welcome to join in) should make a pact to wear cassock and surplice to Sierra Pacific Synod functions where we attend "in choir."

Charles_Austin

A few of us "old guys" adhere to the old traditions. Cassock and surplice (stole optional, but sometimes worn) for non-eucharistic services; alb, stole, chasuble when presiding; alb and stole when assisting at eucharistic services (but cassock and surplice acceptable in that situation also.) A cope for litany processions during Lent or high festival Sundays.
I've only known one pastor - a devout anglo-phile - who continues to wear a maniple.
My practice on Sundays, days of funerals, Wednesdays in Lent, etc., has been to wear the cassock all the time, rather than put it on 15 minutes before the service begins. So it's my "uniform" on those work days.

Richard Johnson

Quote from: The Rev. Steven P. Sabin on November 19, 2008, 01:42:33 AM

Perhaps in a "hands across the aisle" gesture, you and I (others are welcome to join in) should make a pact to wear cassock and surplice to Sierra Pacific Synod functions where we attend "in choir."

Oh Steve, what would people say if you and I showed up holding hands?  ;D
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

PrSabin

Quote from: Richard Johnson on November 19, 2008, 05:24:10 PM
Quote from: The Rev. Steven P. Sabin on November 19, 2008, 01:42:33 AM

Oh Steve, what would people say if you and I showed up holding hands?  ;D

Neither reputation would survive... but as you say, someone must set a good example! But, to avoid the appearance of scandal, let us say rather a "surplice across the aisle"? But be warned, my surplice does have lace trim.

S.
[The biretta ('mouse ears' to the ritually challenged) will remain optional.]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk