News:

Main Menu

Christmas Cheezyness

Started by grabau14, December 12, 2007, 10:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grabau14

Surfing thruogh You Tube and found this cheezy little Christmas message. 

Why do churches resort to this sort of cheese?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nj0Rx2uEZA

Dave_Poedel

Oh my.......................a blessed Gaudete Sunday to all..................................I forgot to send a card for .................oh, the 8th Commandment, best construction..................a really blessed Gaudete to one and all......

Kevin Palmer

Wow...My first thought was that this was another cheesy effort by some megachurch down south or out west.  Then I saw where it was from.  I'm not even sure what my reaction should be, but I feel like hanging my head in shame.   :-[

Kevin Palmer

Richard Johnson

Quote from: Kevin Palmer on December 13, 2007, 11:30:25 AM
Wow...My first thought was that this was another cheesy effort by some megachurch down south or out west.  Then I saw where it was from.  I'm not even sure what my reaction should be, but I feel like hanging my head in shame.   :-[

Kevin Palmer

Appears to be an LCMS congregation, no?
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Scott5

Quote from: Richard Johnson on December 13, 2007, 11:38:49 AM
Quote from: Kevin Palmer on December 13, 2007, 11:30:25 AM

Kevin Palmer

Appears to be an LCMS congregation, no?

Shhhh!  No one answer him.  Maybe they won't be able to figure it out...    :-\

mariemeyer

St. John's Ellisville is an LCMS congregation.

Marie Meyer

Scott5

ghp

I wonder how many folks will be upset primarily because it shows Jesus drinking *wine* at a birthday party?  :o

Does red wine go with cake?  ???

Brian Hughes

For a different example and what what we're using this year, see below.  At the beginning of communion at our contemporary services on Christmas Eve we play a video.  This allows the band, ushers, worship leaders, etc., to receive communion without the dreaded "dead time" because everyone is otherwise occupied.  Usually they're back in place near the later third of these videos and then the congregation starts making their way forward.

Note: the online video examples are always purposely degraded.  The purchased version is very sharp and clear.

Brian

http://www.meatloafmedia.com/cgi-bin/store/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Videos/Illustrations&image=Breath_of_heaven_el72.flv&img=0&search=Christmas&cat=all&tt=flv&bool=&tfile=tn_Breath_of_heaven_el72.jpg&numtolist=50&sortfiles=2

grabau14

What is offensive to me is the mocking of the Words of Christ.  When he takes the wine for his "birthday" he says "Take and Drink".  When takes icing from the cake, he says "Take and eat."  In my mind that is wrong and it mocks the greatest treasure of Christ to His people.  For this to be a LCMS parish, makes it worse.

I am saddened by this whole thing.

Charles_Austin

The Rev. Matthew J. Uttenreither writes:
For this to be a LCMS parish, makes it worse.
I am saddened by this whole thing.

I comment:
But you, as a fellow LCMS pastor, can write that parish and express your concerns. Begin a dialog on their efforts. I can't do it. I'm the non-cheesy ELCA guy with no relationship to that place.

grabau14

You are correct Pastor Austin, and my letter of concern is on the way via e-mail.

RogerMartim

Dave Poedel, forget that it was Gaudate Sunday. My LC-MS parish beats the shopping malls in decorating the church for Christmas. Advent really gets way-sided here. An insipid Christmas cantata gets "performed" on the Second Sunday of Advent in front of the whole congregation and we are supposed to clap afterwards. (In my hey-day, the choir sang from the balcony in soothing Gregorian chants appropriate for the Sunday.) So, all in all, I am not surprised by the "Chirstmas Cheezyness," and of course I am always sorely disappointed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk