Concordia - Ann Arbor and Wisconsin

Started by The Yak, February 14, 2024, 10:54:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Benke

Quote from: Jeremy_Loesch on June 18, 2024, 11:21:58 AMThe note from Michigan CEF is sad, that they were not contacted when reports were that they had been. 

The timeline is also interesting.  And I still would like to know what specific resources are lacking for Ann Arbor to move back to autonomy?  Given my lack of status/standing, I'm not sure I am entitled to know the lack of resources, but if resources are lacking, wouldn't it be helpful for communication purposes to say that Resource A, B, and C are lacking? 

It just seems like a decision was made about CUW's and CUAA's future and that reasons are being arrived at after the fact to justify that decision.  I know that ascribes motive to some people, and I should not do that, but that is the perspective from my seat.  What must the faculty/staff, students, and families be thinking?  Heartbreaking. 

Jeremy

This, Jeremy, is what pickles my gizzard.  Why would the CUWAA board not simply say to CAA "Go in peace, serve the Lord."?  The timeline indicates the whole shebang was in the works from the time the switch of reports on viability was made.  Which was a shocker to the Ann Arbor people. 

So with all the pushback, why not just let them go?  The only reason not to that makes dollar sense is that as Ann Arbor is pulled back to a tinier version of itself, the CUW division gets to sell off property and keep the proceeds in their foundation.  What's used as the excuse, if you read carefully, is that it cost CUW X amount of millions to help out Ann Arbor through the course of a decade.  And they - the Wisconsin portion of the board - would somehow "lose" that money.  Which is weird ridiculous, because it's long since spent and also they have tons of available money in their foundation, enough to float both ships in fact.

More info and transparency needed. 

Dave Benke

It's OK to Pray

Jeremy_Loesch

Here is a link to a podcast called "Lead Time" from the Unite Leadership Collective.  The host is Rev. Tim Ahlman, and they have excellent guests, some of whom resonate with me and some of whom don't.  But it's a good listen.  This particular episode is about the CUWAA debacle, which is what I now call it.  The guest is Mae Keller, who was closely connected to CUAA in the 20Teens.  From her perspective, there was no financial crisis.   

https://youtu.be/7BvEh8LuLGU?si=B84HGUZdCSpqwVy0

Jeremy

Jeremy_Loesch

Quote from: Dave Benke on June 18, 2024, 11:46:05 AM
Quote from: Jeremy_Loesch on June 18, 2024, 11:21:58 AMThe note from Michigan CEF is sad, that they were not contacted when reports were that they had been. 

The timeline is also interesting.  And I still would like to know what specific resources are lacking for Ann Arbor to move back to autonomy?  Given my lack of status/standing, I'm not sure I am entitled to know the lack of resources, but if resources are lacking, wouldn't it be helpful for communication purposes to say that Resource A, B, and C are lacking? 

It just seems like a decision was made about CUW's and CUAA's future and that reasons are being arrived at after the fact to justify that decision.  I know that ascribes motive to some people, and I should not do that, but that is the perspective from my seat.  What must the faculty/staff, students, and families be thinking?  Heartbreaking. 

Jeremy

This, Jeremy, is what pickles my gizzard.  Why would the CUWAA board not simply say to CAA "Go in peace, serve the Lord."?  The timeline indicates the whole shebang was in the works from the time the switch of reports on viability was made.  Which was a shocker to the Ann Arbor people. 

So with all the pushback, why not just let them go?  The only reason not to that makes dollar sense is that as Ann Arbor is pulled back to a tinier version of itself, the CUW division gets to sell off property and keep the proceeds in their foundation.  What's used as the excuse, if you read carefully, is that it cost CUW X amount of millions to help out Ann Arbor through the course of a decade.  And they - the Wisconsin portion of the board - would somehow "lose" that money.  Which is weird ridiculous, because it's long since spent and also they have tons of available money in their foundation, enough to float both ships in fact.

Dave Benke

From what you shared and what Mrs. Mae Keller made in the Lead Time podcast, there does not appear to be the financial crisis that has been publicized. 

Jeremy

Dave Benke

Quote from: Jeremy_Loesch on June 18, 2024, 12:29:01 PM
Quote from: Dave Benke on June 18, 2024, 11:46:05 AM

Jeremy

Dave Benke

From what you shared and what Mrs. Mae Keller made in the Lead Time podcast, there does not appear to be the financial crisis that has been publicized. 

Jeremy

No there is not.  Therefore the motive for the actions taken comes up for question.

Dave Benke
It's OK to Pray

Steven W Bohler

So, Dr. Benke, you are saying the report cited above that says that CUW had to basically cover $37 million of CUAA's costs over the past 10 years is untrue?

Jeremy_Loesch

I don't know if that figure is untrue, but the critical, dire, catastrophic, irreconcilable financial crisis and the complete inability to access endowment funds to help cover a $2.5 million, not $5 million, deficit doesn't appear to be the case. The health of AA seems to be overlooked.

Things I gathered from the Lead Time podcast:

1. AA is/was an asset to Mequon, not a partner with them. Now is the time for that asset to be leveraged into cash to make Mequon sustainable.

2. The current CUWAA administration would not have done the merger and are now trying to get out of it in a way that is advantageous for Mequon.

3. Is it the goal of some within the synod to create a Lutheran Hillsdale? That's not necessarily a bad goal, but nothing is built in a day. If that is a goal, is it to make an existing Concordia the Lutheran Hillsdale? Is it the goal to make Luther Classical College in Wyoming the Lutheran Hillsdale? Cutting loose another Concordia and getting whatever assets from it would go a long way toward funding any Hillsdale-like pursuit.

4. In the meetings since the news broke of Mequon's plans for Ann Arbor, some data has been used and some data has not.

5. Lutheran identity was never really an issue.

6. Why does this have to happen, not just now, but NOW!!!!! 

This all smells fishy, which is appropriate given that we are dealing with schools on both sides of Lake Michigan.

Jeremy

Dave Benke

Fishy is the smell there on the bluffs above Lake Michigan.  Nobody responds, either.  Which only makes it worse.   I worked and often stayed overnight on a college campus in Westchester County.  When decisions are made right up against winter break and end of semester, they are highly strategic.  Because students, staff and faculty are movin' on out in those times.  There's no one to organize a protest; they're gone.  There's no one to demand a July 15 meeting - they're gone.  I find that not only irritating, but fishy.  Debacle.

Dave Benke
It's OK to Pray

Mark Brown

Quote from: Jeremy_Loesch on June 18, 2024, 02:13:21 PM...

3. Is it the goal of some within the synod to create a Lutheran Hillsdale? That's not necessarily a bad goal, but nothing is built in a day. If that is a goal, is it to make an existing Concordia the Lutheran Hillsdale? Is it the goal to make Luther Classical College in Wyoming the Lutheran Hillsdale? Cutting loose another Concordia and getting whatever assets from it would go a long way toward funding any Hillsdale-like pursuit.

Jeremy

If someone is actually trying to make one Lutheran Hillsdale from a bunch of non-distinct Concordias, it's late in the game, but the first smart move in a long time. Which means I can't believe it.  Nobody that has enough juice in the synod is smart enough to do something like that. Occam's razor is just that Ferry was a great fundraiser.  The new guy had no chance at meeting that, so they have to change something.

Dave Benke

Quote from: Mark Brown on June 18, 2024, 08:24:12 PM

Jeremy

If someone is actually trying to make one Lutheran Hillsdale from a bunch of non-distinct Concordias, it's late in the game, but the first smart move in a long time. Which means I can't believe it.  Nobody that has enough juice in the synod is smart enough to do something like that. Occam's razor is just that Ferry was a great fundraiser.  The new guy had no chance at meeting that, so they have to change something.

The key concept is not to accept Federal/Government money.  The sale of enough of Ann Arbor plus the current endowment might make that possible for a reduced student body at Wisconsin.  Regardless, Lutheran Classical will not be taking governmental money. 

Something happened recently with the ability of colleges to use social media the way they used to, so there's a lot more email traffic.  And I am on the Hillsdale mailing list.  They're pretty relentlessly Republican/Federalist Society in the mailings.  I see a Lutheran version of that tackling Germans - 19th century German philosophers and 20th century German theologians as ways to address our issue of great importance - wokeism. 

Personally I see the stars aligning on these projects for those who want anti-wokeism to be our denominational North Star.  The accompanying curricula designed for church work prep students ends up being along the same lines as Hillsdale with the addition of theology somewhat in place of civics.

Dave Benke
It's OK to Pray

John_Hannah

Quote from: Dave Benke on June 18, 2024, 09:11:46 PM

Jeremy

The key concept is not to accept Federal/Government money.  The sale of enough of Ann Arbor plus the current endowment might make that possible for a reduced student body at Wisconsin.  Regardless, Lutheran Classical will not be taking governmental money. 

Something happened recently with the ability of colleges to use social media the way they used to, so there's a lot more email traffic.  And I am on the Hillsdale mailing list.  They're pretty relentlessly Republican/Federalist Society in the mailings.  I see a Lutheran version of that tackling Germans - 19th century German philosophers and 20th century German theologians as ways to address our issue of great importance - wokeism. 

Personally I see the stars aligning on these projects for those who want anti-wokeism to be our denominational North Star.  The accompanying curricula designed for church work prep students ends up being along the same lines as Hillsdale with the addition of theology somewhat in place of civics.

Dave Benke

Will there be any difference between civics and theology?

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

Dave Benke

Quote from: John_Hannah on June 18, 2024, 09:22:30 PM

Jeremy

Dave Benke

Will there be any difference between civics and theology?

Peace, JOHN

I've read the stuff from Hillsdale.  There's not much difference there.
I have not read the latest speeches from Lutheran Classical, which had a groundbreaking a week ago.  The topics, however, resonate loud and clear through both of God's Kingdoms.
I am going to state that the differentiation will be more carefully monitored at Lutheran Classical and the emerging Concordias because that's the training. 
In non-religious schools with a Southern Baptist bent, check out their latest convention and you'll see the blend.

Dave Benke
It's OK to Pray

John Mundinger

Quote from: Dave Benke on June 18, 2024, 09:11:46 PMPersonally I see the stars aligning on these projects for those who want anti-wokeism to be our denominational North Star.  The accompanying curricula designed for church work prep students ends up being along the same lines as Hillsdale with the addition of theology somewhat in place of civics.

Dave Benke

If that is the case, it will be interesting to see who the curricula blends anti-wokeism with the Lutheran understanding of two Kingdoms.
Lifelong Evangelical Lutheran layman

Whoever, then, thinks that he understands the Holy Scriptures, or any part of them, but puts such an interpretation upon them as does not tend to build up this twofold love of God and our neighbour, does not yet understand them as he ought.  St. Augustine

Dave Benke

Quote from: John Mundinger on June 19, 2024, 08:15:27 AM
Quote from: Dave Benke on June 18, 2024, 09:11:46 PMPersonally I see the stars aligning on these projects for those who want anti-wokeism to be our denominational North Star.  The accompanying curricula designed for church work prep students ends up being along the same lines as Hillsdale with the addition of theology somewhat in place of civics.

Dave Benke

If that is the case, it will be interesting to see who the curricula blends anti-wokeism with the Lutheran understanding of two Kingdoms.

The whole initial anti-woke campaign out of CUW and extending by osmosis into Ann Arbor was about leadership succession in combination with faculty/staff perspectives and then student clubs/activities.  The blending is really in cleansing what are considered inappropriate points of view and gatherings out of the institution(s).  Now that will not be the case at Lutheran Classical, which begins with none of those folks or views around, and it will stay that way. 

Dave Benke
It's OK to Pray

Mark Brown

Jeremy

Dave Benke

Maybe we can atone for the sins released by all those Lutheran Pastor's Kids that messed up Philosophy. Which to be honest is just going back and correcting Luther's hate of Aristotle. Only semi-joking.

Dave Benke

Aristotle, Schmeristotle:  https://journals.co.za/doi/pdf/10.10520/EJC-141a1c6512

The Enemy must always remain The Enlightenment.  An open mind leads to intellectual curiosity, which is what killed the cat.  Closed systems lead to absolute indoctrination and the shunting off of curiosity to a locked trunk in the attic.  You're welcome.

Dave Benke
It's OK to Pray

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk