News:

Main Menu

Football

Started by Dave Benke, September 25, 2023, 08:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Benke

I can't find the topic on football, so I'm starting a new one. 

Something happened to me on Sunday that I took for a few hours as a miracle from on High.  I have a "smart" TV hooked up to Charter Communications, which had the contretemps with ESPN/Disney almost messing with the NFL season, but not quite.  So I got to see Aaron Rodgers complete his season with the Jets after four plays. 

However, unbeknownst to me, the Spectrum news channels on their app include the Spectrum news channels from everywhere.  So totally by accident, on Sunday afternoon, I went the wrong way on the remote and somehow was tuned in to the weather in northern Wisconsin.  "They know who I am," I thought.  "How do they know I want the weather in Green Bay?"  About two hours later we figured it out, but now, after lo these fifty years, I can hear the Cheesehead Brigade going through the Packers games.  LeRoy Butler, one of our Hall of Famers (defensive safety) is on the show, so it's possible to hear something other than the crepe being thrown over the Jets season. 

This is a wonderful thing.  Plus, the Badgers looked good against Purdue last Friday evening.  Life is better now.  There's a cable oasis in the Green and Gold desert of New York City.

Dave Benke
It's OK to Pray

peter_speckhard

Quote from: Dave Benke on September 25, 2023, 08:44:39 PMI can't find the topic on football, so I'm starting a new one. 

Something happened to me on Sunday that I took for a few hours as a miracle from on High.  I have a "smart" TV hooked up to Charter Communications, which had the contretemps with ESPN/Disney almost messing with the NFL season, but not quite.  So I got to see Aaron Rodgers complete his season with the Jets after four plays. 

However, unbeknownst to me, the Spectrum news channels on their app include the Spectrum news channels from everywhere.  So totally by accident, on Sunday afternoon, I went the wrong way on the remote and somehow was tuned in to the weather in northern Wisconsin.  "They know who I am," I thought.  "How do they know I want the weather in Green Bay?"  About two hours later we figured it out, but now, after lo these fifty years, I can hear the Cheesehead Brigade going through the Packers games.  LeRoy Butler, one of our Hall of Famers (defensive safety) is on the show, so it's possible to hear something other than the crepe being thrown over the Jets season. 

This is a wonderful thing.  Plus, the Badgers looked good against Purdue last Friday evening.  Life is better now.  There's a cable oasis in the Green and Gold desert of New York City.

Dave Benke
It would be a true sign if you had no signal to stream the game for the first three quarters, but then it suddenly came through so you could watch the fourth quarter.

Dave Benke

Quote from: peter_speckhard on September 25, 2023, 10:05:07 PM
Quote from: Dave Benke on September 25, 2023, 08:44:39 PMI can't find the topic on football, so I'm starting a new one. 

Dave Benke
It would be a true sign if you had no signal to stream the game for the first three quarters, but then it suddenly came through so you could watch the fourth quarter.

This is most certainly true.  I was out and about during the first half, turned it on in the third quarter, as the announcers kept harping on the Saints' record in away games vs. the Packers ten straight opening day wins.  And then the fourth quarter. 

Plus the Vikings and Bears lost.  I don't see how the Lions don't win on Thursday, but that game will also have a fourth quarter.

Dave Benke
It's OK to Pray

Steven W Bohler

I subscribe to the NFL+ Premium package from nfl.com.  All the games are available AFTER they are completed; one can choose to watch either the full or condensed (plays only) version of the game.  So, the Packer-Saints game was not on TV here (Vikings country, sadly) so I was resigned to watching it after the fact.  Started watching an hour or so after the game finished, so I knew the outcome.  Anyway, I watched 3+ quarters of the game, and just when the Packers started their comeback the video skipped to the last minute or so -- it had lost the 8 minutes of the comeback!!!!  All I had for my money was the Saints highlights, more or less.

Thank God that when I tried it again last night, they had corrected the issue so I finally got to see the good stuff.

PrTim15

Your Packers look solid Dave, all that youth is served so far. If we can put away the Lions we are on top of the division. Bears and Vikings are 0-6 wow...God be with you all.

Jim Butler

Quote from: Dave Benke on September 26, 2023, 09:55:45 AM

Dave Benke

This is most certainly true.  I was out and about during the first half, turned it on in the third quarter, as the announcers kept harping on the Saints' record in away games vs. the Packers ten straight opening day wins.  And then the fourth quarter. 

Plus the Vikings and Bears lost.  I don't see how the Lions don't win on Thursday, but that game will also have a fourth quarter.

Dave Benke

You forgot the best part: Kansas City won!

Even more important (according to all the sports coverage I've seen): Taylor Swift was there!
"Pastor Butler... [is] deaf to the cries of people like me, dismissing our concerns as Satanic scenarios, denouncing our faith and our very existence."--Charles Austin

peter_speckhard

Quote from: Jim Butler on September 26, 2023, 06:01:24 PM
Quote from: Dave Benke on September 26, 2023, 09:55:45 AM

Dave Benke

Dave Benke

You forgot the best part: Kansas City won!

Even more important (according to all the sports coverage I've seen): Taylor Swift was there!
Monday was picture day at school, so no dress code. My son wore a Packer jersey. Our former foster son wore a Bears jersey. All the girls pointed out that the Bears players had all humiliated themselves in front of Taylor Swift. Tough to recover from that. 

Dave Benke

We have a nephew who's Bears/Cubs.  He's very quiet lately.  (Did anyone catch the Suzuki drop against the Braves last night?  I think it's still rolling down the drain out there in Atlanta, along with the Cubbie hopes)

Dave Benke
It's OK to Pray

peter_speckhard

Cubs fan know better than to assume a 6-0 lead in the late innings translates to a win.

RPG

Quote from: peter_speckhard on September 27, 2023, 11:15:59 AMCubs fan know better than to assume a 6-0 lead in the late innings translates to a win.

Washington State Cougars football fans understand this phenomenon painfully well. We never doubt that a mighty lead can/will be made forfeit in the 4th quarter for no explicable reason. It's (affectionately?) known as "Coug-ing it up."
The Rev. Ryan P. Gage
Eureka, SD

Dave Likeness

It was the late, great, Hall of Fame NY Yankee
Catcher, Yogi Berra who said:

"It ain't over, until it is over."

This sage advice came from a guy who won ten
World Series Championship rings in his career.

Randy Bosch

I have long determined that my team's true motto must be:
"Wait 'til Next Year".  TM
Ὑμεῖς ἐστε τὸ ἅλας τῆς γῆς· ἐὰν δὲ τὸ ἅλας μωρανθῇ, ἐν τίνι ἁλισθήσεται; εἰς οὐδὲν ἰσχύει ἔτι εἰ μὴ βληθὲν ἔξω καταπατεῖσθαι ὑπὸ τῶν ἀνθρώπων.

Dave Benke

Quote from: Randy Bosch on September 27, 2023, 01:12:33 PMI have long determined that my team's true motto must be:
"Wait 'til Next Year".  TM

Speaking as a Mets fan, that phrase, unlike "It's OK to Pray", may already be in the public domain. 

The storyline for the Mets is that you get tickets to Opening Day, sit with a bunch of buddies, and in the bottom of the first, when our initial batter hits, let's say, a fly ball to center and makes the first out, the group unanimously states, "Wait 'til Next Year" and heads to the bar.

Dave Benke
It's OK to Pray

MaddogLutheran

Quote from: Dave Benke on September 27, 2023, 01:54:24 PMSpeaking as a Mets fan, that phrase, unlike "It's OK to Pray", may already be in the public domain. 

I can confirm that sometimes prayers are indeed answered, mercifully...such as when the Phillies mathematically eliminated the Mets (the team to beat) from the playoffs last weekend in a 4 game sweep.  And then clinched the #1 wildcard playoff spot last night with a win over the Pirates (specials thanks also to Atlanta).  #RedOctober

Sterling Spatz
ELCA pew-sitter

James S. Rustad

My wife is from Minnesota and raised as a Vikings fan.
I am from Wisconsin and raised as a Packers fan.
It's been really quiet at our house regarding football.  I'm smart enough not to raise the subject.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." -Thomas Jefferson

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk