Forum Package

Author Topic: The Episcopal Church -- Lord, Have Mercy  (Read 7242 times)

James_Gale

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
The Episcopal Church -- Lord, Have Mercy
« on: February 01, 2012, 10:49:36 AM »
Here is an advertisement from the Episcopal Church.  At first, I thought that it was satire.  But it seems to be authentic.  Wow.

Steverem

• View Profile
Re: The Episcopal Church -- Lord, Have Mercy
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 11:19:54 AM »
As much as I know this to be the attitude of many in positions of authority in TEC, I can't believe this would have come from any official church source.  I'm sure many of them would chuckle and nod approvingly, but I would think they'd have better marketing sense to release something like this.  Say what you will about the content of TEC materials, they are usually well-produced, and this looks like a photoshop.  And I don't think any full-time marketing professional would use the phrase "resisting fundamentalism" in a tag line.

RevJay

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 11:22:31 AM »
The blogs that have talked about the ad have mentioned that they saw it on facebook, but they don't say the facebook page it comes from.
Rev. Jay E. Denne, STS

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 11:26:09 AM »
The blogs that have talked about the ad have mentioned that they saw it on facebook, but they don't say the facebook page it comes from.

For example, here is a blog discussion.  I can't prove that this is legitimate.  But people in and around TEC seem to be reacting to it as if it is legitimate. 

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 12:18:46 PM »
Has anyone seen this in print?  Has this been offered from any official TEC source as a resource for a media campaign?  It is just too stereotypic and also in your face for me to believe it was actually developed and offered by TEC.  I would have to see evidence of it actually being used by TEC to believe they originated or approved of it. 

Dan
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LC-MS

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 01:07:42 PM »
Has anyone seen this in print?  Has this been offered from any official TEC source as a resource for a media campaign?  It is just too stereotypic and also in your face for me to believe it was actually developed and offered by TEC.  I would have to see evidence of it actually being used by TEC to believe they originated or approved of it. 

Dan

Based on what I've seen, it came from Facebook.  That makes tracking down the source difficult.  However, as this linked page from Facebook shows, many Episcoplians -- including some priests -- very much like the advertisement.  Just follow the "shares" link and you'll see hundreds of comments.  These in themselves are instructive, irrespective of the source of the advertisement.  It's also interesting that the TEC does not seem to have distanced itself from the advertisement, even though it's been bounding around the internet for several days now.

George Erdner

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 01:30:39 PM »

Dan

Based on what I've seen, it came from Facebook.  That makes tracking down the source difficult.  However, as this linked page from Facebook shows, many Episcoplians -- including some priests -- very much like the advertisement.  Just follow the "shares" link and you'll see hundreds of comments.  These in themselves are instructive, irrespective of the source of the advertisement.  It's also interesting that the TEC does not seem to have distanced itself from the advertisement, even though it's been bounding around the internet for several days now.

You make a very good point. There was an old adage in the advertising business, "Run it up a flagpole, and see who salutes." Regardless of the source, it is now atop a flagpole. Seeing who is saluting, and how many there are of them, is very revealing about TEC.

Dave_Poedel

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 05:36:36 PM »
This ad is a direct copy of the " I'm Mormon " billboards and TV commercials that are blanketing Phoenix.  They show a variety of people, who describe a variety of life-styles and occupations.

Those  of us who have lived and ministered here for decades remember Mormons coming to Ward Meeting Houses in dark suits with black ties (sometimes exhibiting not enough tie for the amount of belly).  The mission boys in their black pants and shoes and tie, white shirt and black nametag blanket both Phoenix and Tucson, where I also served.

Mormons want to be known as "normal ".  Apparently Episcopalians want to be known as a certain narrow kind of normal....or something.

And, of course, they want us all to know that Mitt Romney is from a real normal "church " too....

Rev. J. Thomas Shelley, STS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 10:19:58 PM »
Mormons want to be known as "normal ".  Apparently Episcopalians want to be known as a certain narrow kind of normal....or something.

And, of course, they want us all to know that Mitt Romney is from a real normal "church " too....

As we say in CISM,"find the new normal".

I'm happily and thankfully "abnormal".
Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Became a Lutheran Pastor by God's grace and the beneficence of Lower Susquehanna Synod, ELCA Bishop Guy S. Edmiston on Reformation Day, 1989.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.
Now serving in the LCMC.

grabau

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 04:21:03 PM »
What brand of gin in the martini and are the proportions 8 to 1?  There are fundamentalists of all kinds.  grabau

George Erdner

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 04:30:08 PM »
What brand of gin in the martini and are the proportions 8 to 1?  There are fundamentalists of all kinds.  grabau

Proportions as extreme as 8 to 1 are only for vodka martinis, since vodka has no taste. Gin's strong flavor that comes from juniper berries is strong enough to require something no more than 3 to 1, unless the drinker is simply showing off. A ratio of 3 to 1 in a vodka martini would be like drinking a glass of vermouth.

grabau

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 04:40:29 PM »
Some gin is milder so a little ice would do. Where I live a Budweiser would have more general appeal--and pretzels not caviar.  grabau

Confessional Lutheran

• Don, LCMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 05:15:09 PM »
Some gin is milder so a little ice would do. Where I live a Budweiser would have more general appeal--and pretzels not caviar.  grabau

Budweiser- Have a Beer with some Class, Heineken!  :)

Therefore if any man [be] in Christ, [he is] a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. (2 Corinthians 5:17)

George Erdner

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 07:26:54 PM »

Budweiser- Have a Beer with some Class, Heineken!  :)

Heineken? Have a beer with some taste, Yeungling!  ::)

David Garner

• View Profile
    • For He is Good and Loves Mankind
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 09:17:13 PM »
Try a Terrapin Moo Hoo chocolate milk stout. You'll thank me later. 
Orthodox Reader and former Lutheran (LCMS and WELS).